Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2012 16:00

Inspiron N7110 processor upgrade

Hello, I have the i3 2350M Processor and was wondering if it's possible at all to upgrade to an i5 or an i7.
I've seen one being dismantled and it looks like it has a socketed cpu.

June 14th, 2012 14:00

JoeTerry93,

Sorry for the late reply,

It's hard to find the i5 or i7 processor which isn't quad core, you might need to search the manufacturer website to check if the still offer i5 or i7 dual core processor.

Please add me as friend and send me you service tag, so  we can assist you further.

Always glad to help.

Thank you

Aashish Sengar

Social outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 5th, 2016 07:00

You can't use an Ivy Bridge (3xxx) CPU - only Sandy Bridge (2xxx).  Support for Ivy Bridge is more than just a BIOS option.

Dell doesn't prohibit upgrading the CPU, but doesn't support upgrades, either.  It's a moot point now that the vast majority of systems have soldered-in CPUs that can't be replaced.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 8th, 2012 17:00

An i5 should work - an i7 very likely won't -- they generally ship with different system boards.

Upgrading the CPU voids your warranty, if that's a consideration.

June 8th, 2012 18:00

Hi JoeTerry93,

Welcome to the Community

The i5 and i7 dual core processor are compatible with your computer.

Please go through the link below before you change the processor as changing the processor will affect your computer warranty.

http://dell.to/Ki0ixC

Please reply for any further assistance.

Always glad to help.

Thank you

Aashish Sengar

6 Posts

June 8th, 2012 19:00

Thanks guys, the warranty isn't much of a problem to me

Besides ebay or amazon, is there another good place to buy said processors?

And the i7 dual core is compatible for sure?

June 9th, 2012 19:00

Yes, i7 dual core processor is compatible with your computer.

Please reply for any further assistance.

Always glad to help.

Thank you

Aashish Sengar

6 Posts

June 9th, 2012 21:00

I can't seem to find ani5 or i7 processor that isn't a quad core. And just to clarify, my computer won't be able to handle a quad core? or is the motherboard just straight up incompatible

or, where can i buy a dual core i5 or i7?

Sorry to be asking so many questions

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 10th, 2012 04:00

The i5-2540m is the fastest of the dual-core i5s in the generation your system uses.  

It's just about 100% certain that any quad-core CPU won't work -- the systems that ship with it use a different mainboard.

www.insight.com/.../ppp.web

6 Posts

June 17th, 2012 03:00

Thanks a lot man, I totally found one

88 Posts

August 11th, 2012 07:00

When I look in device manager my i5 shows four entries meaning it's a quad core cpu.  Can I safely assume that a quad core motherboard is just that and should work for the i7 too?  I'm not planning on this upgrade any time soon but in a year or two I'll probably want it and might order the chip now just to be sure they are still available.  Can I also safely assume that the bios on my current i5 17R will support the i7?  it's such a process to take it all apart to change that cpu that I don't want to do it and then find out the machine won't boot..that would be a huge DOH!!!!!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 11th, 2012 08:00

No, that's not what the entries mean - you have a dual-core i5, each of which has hyperthreading.

I would not assume the system can take an i7 -- chances are very good that it will not.

2 Posts

February 7th, 2015 16:00

Hello!

Have a dell N7110         Service tag# <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>  Or      Has a I-3 Dual core,

Like to Know the largest   I-5 or I-7 I can swap in please

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 7th, 2015 18:00

the i5-2540m is the fastest i5 in the series your system will support.

The i7-2630QM was also shipped with this system - however, you likely will need an upgraded power adapter to use an i7 (it will require a minimum of a 130W adapter - not the 90W unit).

2 Posts

February 7th, 2015 19:00

Thanks for reply!

1 Message

July 5th, 2016 05:00

So which cpu's are supported now?

I have an 0FRK44 motherboard with and i3-2310M. My bios version is A05.

So which cpu's will work with my laptop?

Some say the i7-2630QM will work as it shipped with a different version of the laptop, some say it won't because it has 4 cores...

Then the 'fastest' duo core cpu is the i5-2540M. I can't find that one anywhere so my eye settled on the i5-3210M. It is also an duo core with a G2 socket, but it has a newer manufacturing process. Does anyone know if my bios version is updated enough to accept the cpu?

And why doesn't Dell just publish motherboard and bios specs/information. Why do they prohibit people upgrading there existing laptops... It isn't as if they make a loss of me actually trying to reuse an older product of theirs

No Events found!