9 Rhodium

Re: Inspiron N7110 processor upgrade

Jump to solution

No, that's not what the entries mean - you have a dual-core i5, each of which has hyperthreading.

I would not assume the system can take an i7 -- chances are very good that it will not.

0 Kudos
illenema
1 Copper

RE: Inspiron N7110 processor upgrade

Jump to solution

Hello!

Have a dell N7110         Service tag# <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>  Or  <Admin Note:express service code removed per privacy policy~RK>   Has a I-3 Dual core,

Like to Know the largest   I-5 or I-7 I can swap in please

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

the i5-2540m is the fastest i5 in the series your system will support.

The i7-2630QM was also shipped with this system - however, you likely will need an upgraded power adapter to use an i7 (it will require a minimum of a 130W adapter - not the 90W unit).

0 Kudos
illenema
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for reply!

0 Kudos
Dogbreath300
1 Copper

Jump to solution

So which cpu's are supported now?

I have an 0FRK44 motherboard with and i3-2310M. My bios version is A05.

So which cpu's will work with my laptop?

Some say the i7-2630QM will work as it shipped with a different version of the laptop, some say it won't because it has 4 cores...

Then the 'fastest' duo core cpu is the i5-2540M. I can't find that one anywhere so my eye settled on the i5-3210M. It is also an duo core with a G2 socket, but it has a newer manufacturing process. Does anyone know if my bios version is updated enough to accept the cpu?

And why doesn't Dell just publish motherboard and bios specs/information. Why do they prohibit people upgrading there existing laptops... It isn't as if they make a loss of me actually trying to reuse an older product of theirs

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

You can't use an Ivy Bridge (3xxx) CPU - only Sandy Bridge (2xxx).  Support for Ivy Bridge is more than just a BIOS option.

Dell doesn't prohibit upgrading the CPU, but doesn't support upgrades, either.  It's a moot point now that the vast majority of systems have soldered-in CPUs that can't be replaced.

0 Kudos