Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2013 17:00

Inspiron mini 1012 won't boot up or start

Hi in mid November 2012 my laptop Inspiron Midi 1012 (with window 7 starter) suddenly stopped booting up. 

I press the power button and I get the Dell Inspiron page & loading bar where I can also select F2 for set up & F12 for boot options or simply wait for boot up

Another page will appear (if I just wait at the Dell Inspiron logo page with loading bar) saying windows did not shut down succesfully. If this was due to the system not responding, or if the system was shut down.... & ask me to select booting option between safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode prompt or start windows normally.

I tried selecting every mode but to no notable result the only things that happens is that the Microsoft Corporation logo appears with a loading bar for 2-3 seconds then the screen will turn back and only my white arrow will be visible on the screen.  At this time, no keys & short cut keys will work. The light of my computer is till on, I can still see some luminosity on the black screen. I can move the arrow around on my screen. The black screen won't change if I let it be for minutes or hours, no windows will pop up if I put a usb memory stick or plug my external cd/dvd player in the usb outlet.

I tried to use a usb transfer cable between my tower pc & my laptop Inspiron Mini but it doesn't work since windows doesn't boot on my laptop. 

I tried F12 (boot option) when my computer start & selected diagnostic but there is no error detected (in short & long diagnostic, test memory, test system). I also tried the other booting options but to no avail (hard drive, network, ...).

I really don't know what to try next... can someone help me?

3.3K Posts

January 8th, 2013 18:00

Hi Christine Marcoux,

Follow below troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue:

Boot to the Last Known-Good Configuration:

• Power on the system.
  • Press when the message For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows, press F8 appears.
  • Choose Last Known-Good Configuration. 

Use System Restore to Revert to a Previous State:

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Tap during startup until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
  3. Press until Repair Your Computer is highlighted, and then press .
  4. In the System Recovery Options window, click to select your language, and then click Next.
  5. Log in as a user with administrative rights, and click OK.
  6. From the Choose a recovery tool menu, click System Restore.
  7. In the System Restore window, click Next.
  8. Click the Show restore points older than 5 days checkbox for a complete listing of restore points.
  9. Click to select a restore point.
  10. Click Next and then click Finish.
  11. Click Yes in the confirmation window.
  12. Click Restart after system restore successfully completes.
  13. If you encounter any error messages during the restore process, follow the on-screen instructions to correct the error.

Run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer by holding the FN and power button. Let the diagnostics complete.

Awaiting your response!

January 10th, 2013 18:00

Thank you for your help but F8 doesn't seem to have any effect except stopping the countdown at the bottom of the page called Windows Error Recovery

the rest of the text & booting choice do not change and System recovery option do not appear...  Here is the complete text:

Windows did not shut down successfully. If this was due to the system not responding, or if the system was shut down to pretect data, you might be able to recover by choosing one of the safe mode configurations from the menu below: (use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)

Safe Mode (when highlighted, description: Start Windows with only the core drivers and services.)

Safe Mode with Networking (when higlighted, descript.: Start Windows with core drivers, plus networking support)

Safe Mode with Command Prompt (''description: Start windows with core drivers, and launch the command prompt.)

Start Windows normally ('when highlighted, description: Start windows with its regular settings.)

Enter = Choose

When I select the safe mode: a page called loading windows files appears for 2 seconds then the screen turn black again... (F8 doesn't work on any screen shoot/page except to stop the count down on the window Error recovery page).

F2 Setup when the Dell Inspiron Logo and welcome page appear after I pressed the power button to start the laptop = inside Boot tab the only option available are : +Hard Drive, USB storage, CD/DVD/BD-ROM, Removable Devices, Network Book

When I select F12 at the Dell inspiron welcome page another option appears in the Boot menu (before last) = +hard drive, CD/DVD/BD-ROM, Removable Devices, Network Boot, DIAGNOSTICS, Enter setup

By the way F8 doesn't work at this stage or on the Dell welcome page.

But in the end none of them work.  I can't seem to find anywhere this system recovery option...

Any other idea to help me solve my laptop problem?

3.3K Posts

January 13th, 2013 01:00

Hi Christine Marcoux,

Try running diagnostics on the computer. Run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer by holding the FN and power button. Let the diagnostics complete.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

January 24th, 2013 12:00

I am having a similar issue. 

When I turn my system on it defaults to:

Intel UNDI. PXE-2 (build 082)

.......  All of the copyright and patent lingo and finally

Media test failure, check cable

Operating system not found

When I press F12 on startup and go to that area it does not seem to do any good. 

I tried F2 and it doesn't help either.  Non of the other keys work.  I tried pressing FN and Power on at the same time and nothing.

January 30th, 2013 07:00

Hi Rajesh R.  I tryed it and it did not work. When I was runing the diagnostic none of them (extended exam of drive in custom exam or diagnostic/exam of everything else) requested for me to shut down the computer to be able to resume testing... so I did it manually after the examen was done & also when the diagnostic was running but to no avail once the computer restarted it still requested for me to choose safe mode or start normally and when it did I still got the black screen. By the way, no problem were found during the computer diagnostic & extended exam of the drives.

No Events found!