Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 6th, 2017 22:00

Inspiron models history source?

Hi all,

Does anyone have a url or other source giving a list/ history of Inspiron models & specs? The Dell site always tries to direct me to the latest models. Wikipedia is very cryptic, and even omits some models i know. I am interested to learn such things as What was the last bios model & first uefi model? At what point did processors go from upgradable to soldered onto the mainboard? etc. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thx.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 7th, 2017 03:00

The model lineup is all over the place since Dell stopped building to order and started selling at retail - some models were sold only at specific retailers, while others are sold only in some geographic locations.

UEFI arrived with Windows 8 -- in 2012.

Intel started phasing in BGA (soldered) CPUs with ultra-low power CPUs as far back as 10 years ago, and ramped that up as successive generations of Core CPUs were released.  Starting with the Haswell generation in 2013, the vast majority of moble CPUs became available ONLY in BGA format.

21 Posts

December 12th, 2017 02:00

Thanks, this is very helpful. A couple more if i might...

What is the difference between Inspiron 15 and Inspiron 15R models?

At what point did USB 3.0 come on board?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 12th, 2017 03:00

15R tended to be more budget-oriented models - essentially the disposable consumer-grade lineup.

USB 3 started to appear as NEC/Renesas add-in controllers in 2010 -- Microsoft and Intel got onboard in 2012 with Windows 8 and official Intel chipset support.

No Events found!