Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2017 14:00

Inspiron n5110 Touchpad not in Device Manager and not working at all

Hi, I recently knocked my laptop off of a chair and it knocked a lot of things out of place. Now when I turn it on, the touchpad is no longer recognised, as if it has completely broken. I opened up the laptop and checked the connector, which I put back in its place. But even now when I boot up it does not work. F3 generates no orange light, no mouse option appears in the device manager. What else can I try?

Kind regards

5 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 10:00

I opened up the Device Manager and viewed hidden devices as you said and the touchpad appeared with a warning sign. It said it wasn't working correctly. I uninstall the driver for it, rebooted, F2 to go to BIOS, then F12 to go to diagnostics and check if it was working, which it was. Finally when I rebooted it's working again!

I will replace the HDD soon, this knock has got me a bit worried, although I do backup weekly so if anything does happen all my work will be safe.

Thanks again for all your help, really appreciate it!

Have a great day all,

Cheers

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 29th, 2017 12:00

What version of windows is on the system? Windows 7? In the meantime, I'd suggest you first run the Diagnostic tool to check the hardware on the system. Please follow steps below:

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly tap the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click it. Please report back any error code.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 29th, 2017 12:00

' no mouse option appears in the device manager "

:emotion-2:

You means there isn't a Dell touchpad listed in Device Manager ? Or just the mouse driver listed ?

2K Posts

April 29th, 2017 13:00

Hi PHAYGOAT,

Is the chassis / palmrest broken or damaged? Is the palmrest cable intact when you opened the chassis?

Does an external mouse work fine? 

I suppose that the palmrest cable / controller might have been damaged by the fall.

Replace the palmrest and check if it works - http://bit.ly/2oWuqVl- you could order the part here.

If it does not work, then the palmrest / touchpad controller might have failed and the motherboard needs to be replaced.

You could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Or you could order the parts from the link above as well.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

5 Posts

I'm on Windows 10, I'll run the check now thank you.

5 Posts

No nothing there at all. Only when I plug in a mouse does the 'Mice and other pointing devices' drop down appear.

5 Posts

April 29th, 2017 14:00

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I ran the test and everything passed except the hard drive which came up with:

Error code: 2000-01-42

Validation: 59638

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - S/N 5VEMMBNG. Self Test Unsuccessful. Status = 7

I have had this problem for 3 years now but nothing has changed since then, but it's never affected my trackpad?

One thing that may be worth noting: After the diagnostics was completed, I could use the trackpad to exit, but on start up it was no longer recognised again.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 30th, 2017 14:00

See restore points.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

The laptop falling off the chair could have did more damage to the hard drive. Good to know diagnostic didn't find any other hardware problems. I do have a few suggestions you could try:

1. Try to back up all your photos, music, files and other important stuff to either a flash drive, external drive or some type of backup software.

2. Type Troubleshooting Control Panel onto the [Cortana] search box, click 'View All", and then run the Hardware & Devices troubleshooter

3. At the bottom left of taskbar, right click windows logo, click Mobility Center, and then check if touchpad is turn on

4. Type 'Create A Restore Point' onto search box, click on System Restore. This tool will bring your system to an earlier time before the problem occurred.

5. Open Device Manager, expand "Mouse And Other Pointed Devices". At the device manager taskbar, click 'Action' , and then 'Scan For Hardware Changes'. Note: You could click on 'View' and then 'Show Hidden Devices'.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

" Error code: 2000-01-42 "

Lastly,

As you probably already know, the error code means there's an issue with the hard drive, and most likely needs to be replace with a new one. Keep in mind, a faulty hard drive could cause all kind of problems on the system. The touchpad usually is the first to go, further system often freezes, cursor won't move or can't  even be seen. Having said that, I suggest you replace the hard drive and then reinstall windows 10.

2K Posts

April 30th, 2017 15:00

Hi PHAYGOAT,

Thank you for the update.

The 0142 error is a HDD failure and the HDD needs to be replaced.

The trackpad functioning within the diagnostics environment is a good sign, you could also restart the system and press f2 on startup to enter BIOS and check if the touchpad works in BIOS environment.

I suppose after you replace the HDD and reinstall the OS and drivers, the touchpad might start working. 

Personally, I would suggest you to install a SSD on the system, as the rate of failure of a SSD is very less compared to the standard HDD.

You could order the HDD / SDD from our team here - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ or from any other online / retail vendor.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 10:00

Glad the touchpad is fix now. Thanks for the update.....:emotion-2:

No Events found!