Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2012 04:00

Inspiron n5110 shutting down during games!

Hello, again!

I'm not very happy to write here again but after nearly month and a half since solving my last problem ( http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/p/19450388/20110838.aspx#20110838 ) I have another.  Although my laptop is not for gaming I like playing games and which is the important I run them on max settings with 50-60+ frames per second. Everything began before 1 week when my laptop began to overheat during games like Age of empires Online and World of Warcraft, it was reaching 90c+ and then a sudden shut down. However, I fixed it by decreasing the maximum and minimum processor state to 99% from 100%. After this I have never reached 90c+ and I was happy with my games. But yesterday, the laptop suddenly shut down again, this time no overheat, the temp was 83c max. I was surprised but after the shock and anger for ruining my PvP game I turned the laptopon and it started normally, like every time. Today it shut down like that like 2-3 times again and that's why I'm here now.

Hope you help me again like the past times!

Alex

4.4K Posts

July 18th, 2012 05:00

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the Community,

Start by running the Hardware Diagnostics.Tap F12 on start up (Dell Logo),select Diagnostics.Post back error code/message if any.

If the test passes without any error,update the BIOS on your system.Use the link below to download and update BIOS :

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

If the issue persists even after updating BIOS,check which Video card you've on the system.

Go to Control Panel,System,Hardware,Device Manager,expand Display Adapters.Post back the name of the Video cards listed.

Thank You

68 Posts

July 18th, 2012 05:00

Hello Roshan,

Now here is 2 pm. So yesterday, from 10 pm to 1 am I was running these diagnostics, although it said that it'll take 30 minutes not 3 hours. It came with an excellent result, no errors. Now I'll update the BIOS and here are my cards, I use the first one, ofcourse:

1.Nvidia GeForce GT 525M 1 GB

2.Intel HD Graphics 3000

Both are with up to date drivers.

I'll reply again after the BIOS install.

Alex

68 Posts

July 20th, 2012 05:00

Hello,

It seems that after the BIOS update I have no problems with shutting down. I will test it a little bit more just in case if it happens again and then will reply here!

Alex

68 Posts

July 20th, 2012 12:00

Actually it happened again! Why all the problems which I have are so nasty!?! The next ruined PvP!

68 Posts

July 21st, 2012 02:00

Everything makes me think that it's overheating. Normally my TurboBoost technology was enabled and in the Winter I had no problems with overheating. But when Summer came the laptop began to overheat and the only solution I found was to disable TurboBoost by decreasing the mnimum/maximum processor rate to 99% from 100% which decreased the temperature to 70-90c during very demanding games. But now even when it's disabled, when the laptop shut downs it acts just like overheating even with temps around 70-80c. Not enough that I lose nearly 20-40 FPS during games by disabling TurboBoost but it 'phantomly' overheats again!

All the things I did were:

Cleaning the vents.

Buying an expensive cooler pad.

Running 3 hour advanced diagnostics with excellent results.

Updating BIOS.

And disabling TurboBoost making my laptop to shut down on low temps which is radicilous. So, I want to concentrate making TurboBoost not oveheat my laptop. When TurboBoost was enabled back in Winter I ahd no problems with low temp shutdowns ( actually none shut downs) so, any suggestions how to fix TurboBoost are apprerciated!

Alex

68 Posts

July 22nd, 2012 12:00

bump

4.4K Posts

July 24th, 2012 06:00

Hi Alex,

Download and run this tool WhoCrashed 3.06 from the link below :

www.resplendence.com/.../whocrashedSetup.exe

It should tell us what exactly is causing your system to shutdown.

After running the tool,post back what it says under conclusion( it should be on bottom of the page).

Note: This is not a Dell validated tool,its a 3rd party tool.

Thank You

68 Posts

July 25th, 2012 01:00

Hello Roshan,

Here is what does it say:

Conclusion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. It may be that there are problems which prevent crash dumps from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Check out the following articles for more information: Troubleshooting sudden resets and shut downs.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

4.4K Posts

July 25th, 2012 06:00

Hi  BSbguse,

It does not suggest any software/driver/application which is causing your system to shut down.It could just be the heating issue which is shutting down the system.So we may have to replace few parts such as heatsink and the fan.

Click on my user name,click start conversation and private message me your system service tag number.

I will check your system details  and get back to you.

3 Posts

January 26th, 2013 21:00

hello everyone,,,,i want to help all the n5110 users.this laptop has a lot of drawback,but i still love it.over heating is the main problem, so i want to suggest you some settings.Just edit ur  power plan.

1) go to the battery icon at the bottom of ur screen.

2.)click on more power options.

3)click on change power setting(on the  current power plan,either balanced or high performance).

4)click on Change advanced power setting.

5)than click on "processor power management"

6)than maximum power state.

7)Set it to the 60% for both on battery and  for pugged in.

HENCE PROBLEM IS SOLVED

No Events found!