Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 10th, 2013 19:00

Inspiron will not make recovery DISKS

Just got a new Inspiron for my business and I'm trying to make the recovery disks before I do much else.

I go to the Dell Backup and Recovery Center, I choose ReInstall Disks and I choose DISKS from in there. I insert a regular DVD-R and start. It runs for about 30 minutes then it pops open the DVD drawer and a dialog box appears telling me to re-insert the disk that just got finished. Note it is NOT telling me to insert the next BLANK disk, but instead "re-insert the disk that just finished". I do so and after a second or 2 it gives me a new dialog box that merely says "disk error".

I've done this 3 times now, once with a Dell Tech Support guy watching by remote session. What gives? Can I make my system recovery DISKS this way or not?

Thanks in advance.

Dell Inspiron 3521
Windows 7 Professional SP1

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 11th, 2013 06:00

Which brand of DVD-R discs are you using?

Alot of what you can buy cheaply in the store is junk.

You'll also want to make sure your laptop has the latest Dell Backup and Recovery Center software.

3 Posts

December 12th, 2013 11:00

Turns out even though it was fresh out of the box and rebooted at least 2 times, on a subsequent reboot it applied some updates and then the disk creation process proceeded as normal. So... "latest version" was a surprisingly good call.

No Events found!