Highlighted
dgrinnan1
1 Copper

Inspiron won't power on with power button but does with Media button

I have an Inspiron 1720.  It will not power on with the power button.  I have replaced the keyboard.  I have verified the battery is good.  I replaced the charger.  If I hit the power button nothing happens.  No lights, nothing.  If I hit the Media button it powers up.  If I interupt the Media Center pwoering up I can focrce the the laptop to startup Windows.  (Vista O/S).  Once windows is up and running I can not turn of the laptop with the power button.  I must use the shutdown option. I read on another post that it might be the BIOS.  I have updated the BIOS to the latest version from the Dell support site.  Basicaily, everthing works except the power button for turning the laptop on and off.  I tried removing the battery and disconnecting the power supply.  I then held the power button down for about 30 seconds.  according to anothe posting that should discharge a capacitor on the motherboard.  that did nothing to help.  I am at a loss. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeD699
1 Copper

RE: Inspiron won't power on with power button but does with Media button

I have the same problem - how did you interrupt the Media centre loading?

0 Kudos

RE: Inspiron won't power on with power button but does with Media button

Hi MikeD699,

I am assuming that you have the same system model. If you are facing the same issue as dgrinnan1 where you are unable to power on shut the computer down using the power button, then it might be an issue with the power button or the hinge cover. 

You may try replacing the hinge cover first. Here is the part# KU971.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

0 Kudos