My Wife's Insprion 9300 with WinXP SP3 has soundcard/driver problems. Not sure exactly when sound stopped working - likely after SP3 upgrade or possibly Quicktime upgrade last weekend.
Device manager says: SigmaTel C-Major Audio Properties: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) "
msinfo32/System Summary/Components/Problem Devices: Device:SigmaTel C-Major Audio, PNP Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_01891028&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&F2, Error Code: 39
1. I have tried the following in this order (several times):
2. Installed updated BIOS: A05I9300.exe, restart
3. Installed updated NSS: R120775.exe, restart
4. Installed updated Chipset driver: R114079.exe, restart
5. Removed Sigmatel software from add/remove programs
6. Removed SigmaTel Driver in Device Manager
7. Installed updated SigmaTel STAC 975X AC97 driver 22.214.171.12455, A03: R99254.exe (tried Add Harware wizard, tried to manually Update Driver, pointed to the new drivers myself, etc....)
8. At this point I get the error "A problem occurred during hardware installation, your device might not work properly" or "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"
9. I've run the hardware diagnostics and heard the speakers play both the beeps and the music so I am fairly confident that this is a driver issue.
Can anyone give me some more ideas to try? Is there a driver out there that will work with XP SP3?
Unistall All audio drivers.
Boot and look in device manager show all devices including ones not listed due to not being there.
Remove all audio devices.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I have followed your instructions. (I had forgotten about the devmgr_show_notpresent_devices variable. Thanks for reminding me)
This revealed a few more audio devices and I removed them as per your instructions.
However, installing R99254.exe now gives the same error
Any other ideas?
I don't have any brilliant ideas but I would try
> System Restore.
> Remove all Sigmatel folders from the hard drive:
c:\Dell\Drivers\R...and delete any folders whose 'R' names correspond to a Sigmatel driver. The Sigmatel folders will be the ones that have a subfolder named "WDM". There could be none, one, or several.
> Audio Service
Go to Start/Run and type "services.msc" then hit the 'Enter' key (or click 'ok'). The Services window will appear. Scroll down until you find "Windows Audio" towards the bottom of the list. Check that it is enabled, set to automatic, and running. If it isn't, double click on it and change the Startup type to Automatic, then click Start, Apply, and OK.
> Software Device Enumerator
Go into the Device Manager (Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/System Tools/Device Manager/System Devices) and check that 'Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator' is installed and running. It will be listed alphabetically if there.
In some models the modem can have an undetectable problem that prevents the audio from working properly. AussieChris, a regular on the Audio board and a technician, first told me about this. Symptoms include inability to get the audio driver to install, getting an error message saying no audio hardware present, and audio properties settings being grayed out. To test this you have to physically remove the modem, not just uninstall the driver. With the modem removed, try again to install the audio driver. If the audio works after removing the modem then you might need to replace it.
> Get rid of SP3.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I see that there have been two more posts since mine for "No Audio Device Present" on Inspiron 9300 since I first posted.
In addition to the steps I have already tried in my first post, I have tried the following of your suggestions:
- Manually removed all Sigmatel Drivers from the hard drive
- Ensured Windows Audio service is set to automatic and is started
- Ensured PnP Software Device Enumerator is installed and running
- Removed SP3, re-installed the drivers from dell/support
Still no audio device
- System restore crashes every time I try to select an earlier month on the calendar so I haven't done that
- Have not pulled the modem yet
I guess I will try to pull the modem next.