Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 7th, 2012 12:00

Installing mSATA card on Inspiron 15R special edition (7520)

Hey

I have inspiron 15r se with 1TB HDD.

I would like to add a mSATA card to my system to be able to use IRST.

Is it possible now?

I am skeptic because I have read online that systems which were not shipped with 32 GB mSATA card, doesn't have mSATA port for later installation.

When I purchased the system at that time dell had the option for adding 32 GB mSATA card in the customization section, but now dell has removed the whole customization section from the website. And in the pre-configured models, there is no option for mSATA card.

Please clear this doubt and if possible post the pictures of the system and the daughter board where mSATA card can be installed.

If you need any further details regarding my system configuration, feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance

November 10th, 2012 08:00

Hey everyone!

All those who are willing to buy Dell Inspiron 15R special edition (7520), and would like to upgrade the system with mSATA card manually after making the purchase, must know that there are  two different configurations with which the system is being sold. While on one of these configuration there is an mSATA port available on the daughter board (part number N7JHH) in the system. Whereas on the other configuration there is no mSATA port available on the daughter board (part number MRDMM) present in the system.

Most of the Dell representatives don't have any information in this regard and they are openly stating that mSATA cards are compatible with 7520. Please don't go by their words and ask them specifically if the above mentioned daughter board is present in the system or not. Only a very few of them are stating  "If the system was not ordered with mSATA  card most likely your system daughter board will not have the mSATA slot", that too after days of inquiry.

If you are hoping to upgrade the system with mSATA card, then my advice to you would be to make a prudent decision before purchasing.

Cheers!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 30th, 2016 05:00

To install Windows, 

Remove the hard drive from the system.  Set the mSATA drive as your boot device in BIOS setup.  Then boot the Windows 10 install media, and install Windows.  Let Windows activate at the end and reboot to make sure the system works.  Make sure the mSATA drive isn't set in RAID or IRST mode.

You can then reconnect the hard drive to the system.

4.4K Posts

November 7th, 2012 20:00

Hi  Anshul Garg,

Welcome to the Community,

To add  a mSATA card the daughter board on your system needs to have the mSATA connector slot.

Below image shows a daughter board with the mSATA card :

Please private message me your system Service tag number.To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

I will check your system configuration and let you know if your system daughter board has a slot for the mSATA card.

Thank You

November 8th, 2012 02:00

Hey Roshan

Thanks for your warm welcome.

I have sent you my system service tag.

Please let me know about my system configuration.

2 Posts

November 8th, 2012 13:00

hey I also got the dell n5520 with i5 3210m, radeon 7670m and 500 gb hard... can I add msata card now? how do I know without opening the laptop that I do have that slot or that type of daughter board? qill be very happy to see a response  :)

4.4K Posts

November 8th, 2012 21:00

Hi  saadmunir,

I've replied to your private message after checking your system configuration.

1 Message

November 9th, 2012 03:00

Hello,

So, I bought the same model of Inspiron.

I still able to add a mSATA?

I read in the internet about users having problems to install a mSATA card because the daughter board came without the slot when the users bought without the mSATA option directly from Dell, making it impossible to install mSATA after buy. Or you buy with mSATA or you live without mSATA forever.

Is this true?

4.4K Posts

November 10th, 2012 04:00

Hi gustavogg87,

If the system was not ordered with mSATA  card most likely your system daughter board will not have the mSATA slot.

Private message me your system service tag number.To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

I will check your system configuration and confirm if the daughter board on your system has the mSATA slot.

Thank You

November 10th, 2012 07:00

Hey Roshan

Please answer my query. Is there any way I could get N7JHH daughter board now?

2 Posts

November 12th, 2012 04:00

thanks Roshan :)

30 Posts

November 13th, 2012 13:00

Hello, I made that collage about the msata Card ;) Happy to know it is used to spread the info about that problem..

I know now that my Inspiron 15R SE has no mSata port.. is it possible to find/purchase the other daughter card (N7JHH) that has this port in order to change it on the motherboard ?

I seem able to find one without mSata on ebay, but not the one with msata.. can anybody help.. ?

:)

Dom - France

4.4K Posts

November 15th, 2012 20:00

Hi  DomFrance67,

You can try contacting your regional Dell Sales (spare parts) to confirm if that part is available.

For contact information go to www.dell.com , select your region from the drop down(lower left),

Thank You

30 Posts

November 17th, 2012 08:00

DELL doesn't seem to sell this kind of spare part.. only things like memory and batteries.. unless I'm mistaken.

I'm willing to buy it from DELL outside of France if anybody finds it (Spare part : N7JHH).

I had found a site in Romania : onlinesell.ro/product_info.php but they don't take orders for the moment :(

If anyone can help :)

PS : If you know the phone number for DELL Parts for France.. I'm also interested !

4.4K Posts

November 20th, 2012 00:00

Hi  DomFrance67,

Sorry for delay in response,was out of office due to weekly off.

You can try calling this number 0825 387 303 to talk to Dell sales representative in France.

Also refer to this Dell Website (France) : www.dell.com/.../p

30 Posts

November 26th, 2012 21:00

Hello Roshan,

I can see you have a picture of the daughter card.. could you send me or post another one with better/higher resolution ? So I can see the number/reference on it ? Do you confirm that N7JHH is the correct DELL part number of the daughter card WITH msata port ? Even in France (is it a worldwide DELL part number ?)

If I can't get it in France, do you think I could get it in Germany or say the UK ?

thanks

Dominique

No Events found!