Re: Installing mSATA card on Inspiron 15R special edition (7520)

Jump to solution

Hi PTScott33,

Inspiron 15R has 12.7 mm SATA tray load optical drive however I cannot confirm if this will work as I haven't come across anyone who has tried this.

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

0 Kudos
perissatto
1 Copper

Jump to solution

hi all.

I can confirm that caddy 12.7 works properly!!

I just need to know if this slot from bluray is SATA 2 or SATA 3 connection.

Someone know about this?

0 Kudos
majorchamp
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have called Dell and as of right now, the part # for the daughter board WITH mSata has been deactivated. I am inquiring more information.

0 Kudos
majorchamp
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I spoke with the Dell parts department. It sounds like the part# that now matches my model, Inspiron 15R SE that contains the mSata port is N7J97. This must be a new part, as searching for it on Google provides absolutely nothing.

It is on back order she said.  Argh.

0 Kudos
nklees
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Majorchamp (Or anybody there), I'm about to do the same you did.  It's very helpfull that you've posted this information.  Is there any news about N7J97 part? Is N7JHH still usefull for my 7520 cause I've just bought it?

Greetings to everybody

Thanks

0 Kudos
majorchamp
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Nklees,

If you want to fork out the $80+ or whatever for the N7JHH part that likely you can only get in the UK, wait for it to be shipped, etc... go for it if you can find it. You have to tear your computer apart to not only install that part, but also to install the mSata SSD in that location.

I hopefully will get my mSata to Sata drive enclosure today, and I will replace my 750gb 5400rpm drive with it this evening. I will update if all goes well, how the computer recognizes it, etc.. because I think I am supposed to enable the Intel Smart Response boot option as well.

0 Kudos
nklees
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

That was a fast answer!! I have an order placed on Dell US right now and waiting for the part  (N7JHH). Do you think that I have no chance to get it anyway? I mean, the order will stay uncompleted for ever?

0 Kudos
majorchamp
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I purchased 3 caddys.    An mSata - Sata 2.5" enclosure, a OOP -> SATA caddy (12.7mm) for the 750gb, and a slim dvd external enclosure for the Optical drive I will be pulling out.

All of that after shipping and tax I believe was about $60 if that.

0 Kudos
majorchamp
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I am surprised you were able to place an order. I was told, on the phone by a rep, that part of "deactivated" and she referenced a whole different part #.  But I was told the deactivated stock count was 0.

So you ordered a computer without the port then? I purchased the $690 listed price 15R SE.

I have no clue if you will get it or not. Good luck though.

0 Kudos
perissatto
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I did the same like majorchamp. I bought 2 caddy. One for SSD and other for bluray. Much better than open the entire notebook.  I just need to know if the slot from bluray is sata 2 or 3. Someone know ?

0 Kudos