majorchamp
1 Nickel

Re: Installing mSATA card on Inspiron 15R special edition (7520)

Jump to solution

Perissatto....so you run your mSata SSD where your old HDD used to be? Can you explain the steps I need to go through once it's installed? Change boot sequence, format the SSD, etc..

0 Kudos
perissatto
1 Copper

Jump to solution

@Anshul Garg

solution = buy a caddy 12.7 and replace for the bluray drive.

0 Kudos
nklees
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

MajorChamp, I've bought the 999 listed price one (FHD, 750gb, i7 no bluray) but entering the tag No. the daugtherboard part# was different like MMJHM or something like that so I think it doesn't have the msata Port.

0 Kudos
perissatto
1 Copper

Jump to solution

majorchamp, i have installed windows 8 using a pen drive with gpt partition and selected UEFI. im using an SSD on old HDD slot and the HDD on bluray slot with the caddy. I live in Brazil and there is no replacements parts here ( for customers ) so this was the best idea i had.  If you need any support feel free to reply.

0 Kudos
nklees
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Good News!!!

I've just received my N7JHH. now It's time to buy the msata Card. I Think I'll try with the same as DomFrance Did (Crucial 128gb).

But I have some doubts:

Which is best? With Intel Smart  Technology Response using the SSD as a Cache or Use the SSD as my system Disk and the 750gb disk as data Disk?

If I Choose the first option, is it necessary to buy a 128gb SSD or perhaps with a 64Gb (lower cost) is more than enough?

i'm not an expert in this subject so I'll apreciate any suggestion.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

Use the solid state drive for the OS disc.  It'll perform far better than any cached hard drive will.

0 Kudos
nklees
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

If I choose to use it for the OS disc, is there anything else needed in order to install it in the SSD? Sincronizing, etc etc? Or I'll just choose to install it in the new drive and that's all?

0 Kudos
majorchamp
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

are you looking to take what is on your 750gb and "move" it to the SSD? I would suggest just installing a fresh copy of your OS on the SSD, then transfer over what you need. I placed my mSata into an mSata -> SATA Caddy, and put it in the original HDD location, so I am not sure if the computer will hit the mSata port location first on bootup or not.

0 Kudos
nklees
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

No, I'll install a fresh copy since the lap is brand new. Reading DomFrance installation tutorial (He's an idol for 7520 users jeje) he said that he has a dual boot option and he also did some sincro job so I'm confuse if it's a cache drive or a new independent drive and if the sincro job is needed in the last option.

0 Kudos
Tarak Abu Adam
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Does anyone have a new daughter board, N7JHH, for sale?  If so how much?

0 Kudos