Sonarcade
1 Nickel

RE: Installing mSATA card on Inspiron 15R special edition (7520)

Jump to solution

yes. I have a 256GB drive.  Now, I'd like to upgrade to a 512GB drive but I also don't want to deal with opening up the computer again.  Such a pain in the ***.

0 Kudos
iwethen
1 Copper

Jump to solution

can you help me check if my computer hes the mSATA port? thanks.

nklees
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The best way you have to check that is calling or chatting with DELL support with your service tag. Other way is entering your ST and checking original configuration of your laptop. If it says part N7JHH then you have it, if it says MRDMM then you don't but I'm not sure if it is so clear under that option. Greetings

0 Kudos
iwethen
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I cannot find out by chatting with dell support, can you help how I can enter the ST and find out original configuration. thanks. 

0 Kudos
nklees
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I'm sending you a friend request so you can send me the ST and I will check it for you.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

It is good practice NOT to divulge your service tag other than to an official Dell forum representative (they're indicated as such in their avatar).

There is no need to check the system for the presence of the mSATA connector.  For the 15" models, ONLY those systems that shipped with an mSATA drive have the daughtercard and connector.  Those systems that shipped with no mSATA drive from the factory have no connector installed.

0 Kudos
spotthemaniac
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Roshan,
I have bought the msata daughter board and installed into my dell inspiron
15R 5520 Tag # <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

bios can see the msata card and reports correct device

(SAMSUNG EVO 850 Basic 120 BG)

my intention was to install win10 onto the mSATA device and keep the internal drive for data etc.

however windows 10 does not see it. (windows 10 was a recent upgrade which caused much stress!)

manage - storage - disk management?

can you help with what else i need to do please?

do i need to upgrade bios?

Thanks in advance

Wayne

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

To install Windows, 

Remove the hard drive from the system.  Set the mSATA drive as your boot device in BIOS setup.  Then boot the Windows 10 install media, and install Windows.  Let Windows activate at the end and reboot to make sure the system works.  Make sure the mSATA drive isn't set in RAID or IRST mode.

You can then reconnect the hard drive to the system.

spotthemaniac
1 Copper

Jump to solution

thank you, thats my evening covered!!!

0 Kudos
spotthemaniac
1 Copper

Jump to solution

still got an odd problem?

having removed the hard drive and installed using win 10 DVD all seemed to work fine.

various reboots during install etc.

after finalising my sons laptop with all the games he wanted. it seemed to work fine.

However at some point it now no longer shuts down properly.

Boot time is really fast, shutdown seems to take forever and then fails. (in excess of ten minutes) blanks screen but some form of activity lights still on (power and wifi) no obvious hd activity.

Upon reboot forced by power off failed to restart, insert DVD repair from restore point works but exhibits the same issue on shutdown.

at the moment I have inserted the original HD and changed the boot order to put the msata at the very bottom.

Is there some configuration i have missed that causes it to corrupt the msata on shutdown?

0 Kudos