RE: Integrated Webcam Not working after windows 10 move

Jump to solution

Hi Narno06 / Angelosheart ,

Camera on Dell Inspiron systems has native drivers from Windows operating system. I would suggest you to update the BIOS and the Chipset driver on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and then chipset driver from chipset section onto the system and install it in compatibility mode.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

narno06
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Ravi, thank you for taking the time to read this call for help!

BIOS was up to date.

Chipset drivers where not available at all when OS selected was Windows 10.

However they were an option for download when OS was Win 8 or 7.

I tried installing that version in compatibility mode but the install hang. Now that driver's last publish date was almost 2 years ago, I am pretty sure that's the version I have installed on the PC.

In any case web cam is still not working.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Narno06,

I’d advise that you load defaults in the BIOS and check for issue resolution. Please follow the steps mentioned below to load the BIOS to defaults.

1. Reboot the computer.

2. When prompted during POST, press the <F2> key to enter the setup screen.

3. On the System Setup screen, press the <F9> key.

4. Press the <Enter> key on Yes to Load Optimized Defaults and restart the computer.

Also, I would suggest you to run the test on Webcam on the system.

1.       Open the link http://dell.to/14YjKb2

2.       Select ‘Hardware’ under ‘Advanced’ tab.

3.       Select ‘Camera’.

4.       Click on ‘Run Diagnostics’ button.

5.       Let me know if the results.

0 Kudos
narno06
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Ravi, thank you for working with me on this.

I have done what you suggested, but it's a catch 22, the result of the test is this:

"We are unable to find the selected device. The device driver for your selected diagnostic is either not installed or installed incorrectly.Please ensure your device is enabled through your device manager or go to Drivers and Downloads to install the latest driver."

Now you seem to think it's bios related or in any case quite low level in the computer.

That webcam was working under Win7 it's right after the upgrade to Win10 that it dropped out of the device list.

I am thinking of performing a brand new install of Win10, may be going to Win7 before to see if the web cam is working properly again. Thankfully I have access to these OS.

Can you think of anything else to do before I wipe out the PC?

0 Kudos
paresthesia69
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello Ravi,

As you suggested, I tried both options you mention above, and neither work. I have the latest BIOS available from your site for my Alienware 17, and unfortunately setting Yes to the Load Optimized Defaults did not fix the issue.

The second option returns with device not found, which could be explained by the lack of a driver?

Hoping a new driver is released soon that will fix this issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
FrankCobretti
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm just chiming in to say that I have the same problem with my Inspiron 5421.  My microphone doesn't work, either.  What's the use of the much-vaunted Cortana Voice Assistant if the microphone doesn't work?

0 Kudos
msenin01
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with Alienware 17:  after upgrading to Windows 10, integrated webcam driver is not installing.

Dell Support, please advise. I have A14 (latest) BIOS.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi narno06,

The Webcam seems to be faulty you will need to replace it.

But before replacing it you can RESET the Windows 10 to check if it fixes the issue. Please follow the steps mentioned below to run RESET.

1. Please type in ‘Advanced Startup Options’ in the Search box.

2. Click on Change Advanced Startup Options.

3. On Recovery hive click on ‘Restart now’ under Advanced startup.

4. The system would go into the Advanced Startup Options’ and Click on RESET.

5. Use the option Keep files to check if the issue is fixed.

Please let me know if this helps.

shando69
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Ravi,

I can't speak for ALL the other Dell customers that are experiencing this issue, but I have the same issue on my Alienware 17 and my webcam is NOT faulty as I can get it to work by installing an old (UNSIGNED) Windows Driver. So, this is DEFINITELY an issue with the Windows 10 driver that Dell and/or Microsoft should be fixing URGENTLY.

Regards 

0 Kudos
narno06
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Ravi,

I will test your last set of instructions shortly and let you know. I understand where you come from as far as diagnosis goes, however there are few things that just don't match:

1) the timing: the webcam was working under win7, the moment I upgraded it did not work anymore. it's quite the coincidence.

2) most importantly: I am not the only one with the very same problem. I think a wave of webcam failures on Dell computers as we all migrate to Win10 is a bit too much to swallow, so I beg you to reconsider your diagnosis as Shando69 mentioned in this thread...

0 Kudos