Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2009 01:00

Integrated webcam "Not supported" on XP pro?

My netbook came with linux.... I dumped that and installed XP pro service pack 3, reinstalled all of my drivers, and the cam worked fine...

However since the HD is SO tiny (4 gig) I had to go to a lighter version of XP Pro (Service pack 1) and reinstalled all my drivers again, but when I try to install my webcam it says its not supported on that operating system.

Does anyone know where I can find a driver for it that WILL work on xp pro serv. pack 1 ?

its the 0.3 mp integrated webcam... its also supposed to have a built in microphone but Ive not tried to use that though and I dont know where to find it anyway.

4.6K Posts

December 14th, 2009 12:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

I assume it's a Dell, but what specific netbook model is it?

And since it's just 4GB, I assume it's a SSD, rather than a standard 1.8"/2.5" HDD?

Is there not a 'Drivers & Downloads' page for it on the Dell website, or does it only offer Linux drivers?

If that's the case... where did you get the drivers which worked under XP Pro SP3?  Is there just the one set of drivers for XP available there?

The only other thing I can think of, is seeing if a drivers program such as DriverMax (freeware) can find suitable drivers for it?

Assuming you at least have enough HDD space left to install it of course!?

BTW:  The built-in microphone might work if you can get the webcam itself working?

December 14th, 2009 20:00

it IS infact a dell...thats why i am posting in the dell forum. Its a dell mini inspiron 910 netbook. Came preinstalled with ubuntu.

And yes I re-downloaded all the drivers from the driver download portion after entering the service tag, and they all came in .exe format which is a windows thing, not linux. I reinstalled them all on the netbook with XP and they all work. The only one that doesnt is the webcam- and under drivers it has a yellow question mark by it.

December 14th, 2009 21:00

i would go back to ubuntu but I dont have a cdrom drive and im not spending 90 bucks on an external drive

No Events found!