Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

October 21st, 2017 14:00

Intel 620 and Iris graphics update crashes Windows

I am experiencing a problem with the most recent updates for my XPS 13. The Intel graphics driver “Intel-HD-620-and-Iris-Graphics-640_4MRV7_WIN_22.20.16.4771_A08.EXE” prevents the auto installation of the available updates. Downloading the file and installing it manually led to a blue screen and “Windows didn’t start properly…” message. Trying to install it in Safe mode was an even worse idea – major blue screen, had to restore windows from the previous restore point to get it running again. Dell update keeps prompting me to install an update including this driver, but there is clearly a major incompatibility somewhere. The files for “Chipset |Intel Management Engine Components Installer” and “Chipset |Intel Chipset Device Software Driver” won’t install either, but at least they don’t cause blue screens. The recent BIOS update and other driver updates have installed (manually) fine. Any advice appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

October 24th, 2017 05:00

Thank you for your message.

What is the blue screen error message you get, please share the error code.

Did you try updating the driver from the Intel site to check if the driver installs?

For my reference, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

13 Posts

October 25th, 2017 10:00

Hi. The error was with dxgmmx2.sys. When checking for Windows updates last night I installed the latest build, without any problems, and after doing so the recommendation to update the problem driver disappeared. Presumably the new Windows build includes the new driver, and is clearly compatible with it. Thank you for your interest, but the problem has been solved by the windows update.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

October 26th, 2017 06:00

Glad to know that this has been resolved.

Feel free to reach out to us if you need any assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

13 Posts

October 26th, 2017 07:00

Sadly I spoke too soon. Dell update subsequently poppggged up asking to update the same driver and unwisely I accepted. This time it really bricked my laptop. Wouldn’t boot into windows. After three failed restarts the diagnostic option kicks in. It runs and finds no fault, restart PC is the only option. Simply loops through the process endlesly. Everytime we boot the laptop now we get a BSOD error is SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION in file dxgmms2.sys and we can not get the system to get into windows 10. We have been able to get the system to boot by going into safe mode removing the device in device manager but now we only have the default WIndows driver which has no functionalilty and we are unable to install any video driver as if we do we are back to the BSOD. Any suggestions as we are desperate for a fix.

13 Posts

October 26th, 2017 07:00

Hi we have now also tried the driver direct from the Intel site but we have ended up with the same error and BSOD issue.

13 Posts

October 27th, 2017 04:00

Update: finally managed to install an older version of the graphics driver and the system is now running again -- but still wants to install the new Intel HD 620 and Iris Graphics 640 driver, which I will avoid like the plague. I am now terrified of ever updating any version of this driver, as it bricked my system into a state that needed a bootable Win 10 USB stick and more than a full day's work by my IT manager to get running again.

No Events found!