Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2015 08:00

Intel HD Graphics Does Not Recognize Multiple Displays

Hello,

While in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel > Display > Select Display.  The other two external monitors are not recognized.  My only choice for color adjustment is with the Built-in Display option.

The two external monitors are recognized in the NVIDIA Control Panel, but oddly, NVIDIA only has 3D-Settings available, no other color/resolution adjustments are available.

Thank you

Computer:  Precision M3800 (Late 2013)

Windows 7 Pro, with i7

NVIDIA Quadro K1100M

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

June 30th, 2015 14:00

Hey Guzzlr,

Thanks for the post. I’d first suggest checking the monitor’s connection to the M3800 / confirming they work on another system if available. If you have any docks or adapters in your configuration these can be a common point of failure, testing monitors individually with these components remove should help narrow down the point of failure.

If the displays and any adapters in use appear to work normally, make sure both the Intel video drivers and nVIDIA drivers are updated to the latest released on the Drivers and Downloads support site: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/555/product-support/product/precision-m3800-workstation/drivers

As well as the Intel/nVIDIA control panels you should be able to configure attached displays through Windows by following the instructions below:

1. Close all open programs.
  2. Right-click an empty area on your desktop, and then click Screen Resolution.
  3. Click the Multiple Displays drop-down list, and then select Extend These Displays or Duplicate These Displays.
    If you cannot see the additional monitor(s) listed, click Detect. If it does not work, try restarting your computer and repeat steps 1 and 2.Duplicate these displays: This setting will duplicate your laptop screen image on both monitors based on the monitor with the lower resolution.Extend these displays: This setting allows you to move a window from one monitor to the other by clicking the title bar of the window and dragging the window to a new location.Show desktop only on 1: This setting is typically chosen when your laptop is used as a desktop computer so you can enjoy the higher resolution of a large external monitor.
  4. Click Identify Monitors to see which monitor is number 1 and which is number 2; then drag the monitor icons to reorder their positions to match the physical setup you have chosen.
  5. Click the Resolution drop down menu, and select a screen resolution by moving the slider arrow right or left; then click OK.
  6. If the new settings are compatible, your computer screen will reappear with the new settings in place. To change display resolution settings back to the previous setting, hold down the Windows Logo key and press the P key to change the mode to computer only.
  7. Click Yes if you want to keep the new settings.
  8. Restart your computer to ensure that the changes are saved.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN128740/en

Let us know how it goes,

64 Posts

July 1st, 2015 18:00

So this computer is on a cheap looking Dell dock, unfortunately, this Precision, does not have a normal dock hookup on the bottom, like all the other Precision's I've had in the past. 

I believe I need the correct dock because this dock not only allows the computer to recognize the other monitors (although the NVIDIA does, but the computer does not allow me to change to the NVIDIA processor, which is another royal pain).  The dock also does not charge the computer. 

Question:  Is there a special dock just for this type of computer?

64 Posts

July 2nd, 2015 18:00

To Shawn B. 

I can adjust resolution fine with all monitors...that's not the problem.

The problem is when I enter the Intel HD graphics Dash Board, The only monitor I can adjust, through the HD Intel Dash Board, is only the Laptop display, Intel HD Dash Board does not recognize the other monitors; therefore, I can not adjust color settings on the other monitor, only the Laptop monitor allows for color settings. 

The result is the laptop monitor has good color, the monitors have terrible color.   

Having said all of that, if I go to the NVIDIA Dash Board, NVIDIA does recognize all monitors + the laptop monitor, however, I can not bypass the HD Intel on-board graphics and run off of the discreet NVIDIA graphics card....So, there lies the problem, how to get around the HD on-board graphics

Thanks for the help

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

July 6th, 2015 11:00

Hey Guzzlr,

Happy to hear the nVIDIA dashboard allows you these option. I’d suggest using the nVIDIA control panels “application default” settings to make sure the nVIDEA GPU and settings are used in this configuration / while using your desired programs. These settings should be configurable through the below control panel options, however this may change depending on the driver version you have installed.    

How to set a default graphics card for an application?

1. Launch nVidia Control Panel.
  2. Expand 3D Settings and select Manage 3D settings.
  3. On the right-side window, click Program Settings tab.
  4. Under Select a program to customize: option, select the desired application.
  5. Under Select the preferred graphics processor for this program:, choose the desired graphics option.

64 Posts

July 6th, 2015 12:00

Maybe this is a new revision of the NVIDIA control panel.  I've always been use to adjusting color of each individual monitor, like gamma, digital vibrance, etc...

I dont see anything along these lines when I'm in the control panel only 3D Settings?

Thanks

64 Posts

July 9th, 2015 15:00

Nope, still cant bypass the on bard intel graphics. in my old Dell, with Optimus, I could turn off Optimus in BIOS, and this solved the problem.  With this new computer, Optimus technology is not available 

Any suggestions about how to get off the integrated graphics, and run Nvidia for everything, so I can have color adjustments on my external monitors?

Thank you

39 Posts

September 16th, 2015 03:00

good luck with getting a reply outta dell

anyways.. try going into device manager and uninstall intel there and just leave nvidia running

uninstall intel..reboot and u should be back with only nvidia..

let us know hows u go

No Events found!