Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2013 17:00

Intel HD graphics 4000 driver causing system to freeze

I bought a manufacturer refurbished Inspiron 5720, i7 3612QM, 8GB RAM.  The BIOS is currently A12.  When I received it, it had a bad hard drive.  Dell sent me a new hard drive under warranty, but it was blank and I had to use a recover CD to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.  I have installed every recommended and updated driver for all of my hardware components.  But, everytime I install the HD 4000 drivers, the system starts to freeze up.

The system runs fine with the Standard VGA driver, but I can't run anything that requires better graphics.  I have tried installing every version and they all cause the system to freeze.  Sometimes it freezes during the boot up and sometimes it will run for up to 2 minutes before freezing.  And by freezing, I mean that it just stops working.  Sometime if I let it just sit and wait, it will shut off automatically.  Other times, it just stays frozen for hours and I have to hold down the Power button to turn it off.  When it restarts, it boots to the Safe Mode option screen.  I then have to boot to safe mode and restore the system to a previous recovery state.

Any help in how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

• 

3.3K Posts

July 14th, 2013 19:00

Hi Glenn Higgins,

Please check if the drivers are installed in the order given in the below link:
http://dell.to/X1IKGu

Also check if there are any yellow exclamation marks for any of the devices in the Device manager.

To get the drivers for your computer click on the link below, enter the system service tag and select the Operating system from the drop down list.
http://dell.to/QjjZDA

In case all the drivers are installed and there are no yellow exclamation marks in the device manager, run diagnostics on the hardware components.  Click t on the following link for instruction: http://dell.to/OUGnqT

Reply to this post if there are any error message.

July 14th, 2013 20:00

What is the best way to uninstall the currently installed drivers and restart the driver installations?

• 

3.3K Posts

July 15th, 2013 03:00

Hi Glenn Higgins,

Right click on the given driver, click uninstall from the drop down list and check the option Delete all the components and click Ok.  This will uninstall the driver.

Revert for further queries.

3.1K Posts

September 25th, 2013 22:00

Hi jessb_55,

May I know the operating system installed on your computer.

First of all, I would suggest you to run the on-board Dell diagnostics. Please refer Run Built-In Diagnostics for Your System

You may also watch this video Diagnose Hardware Issues on Your Dell Computer 

Also, let me know what exactly happens when it freezes.
How often does it freeze?
Does it freeze while using any particular application or it is random?
Did you recently add any software or hardware to your computer?

13 Posts

It's windows 7 enterprise 64 bit.

I have ran diagnostics and all has passed.

When it freezes the computer completely locks up and I have to hold down the power button to shut it off and back on.

It freezes pretty often, and is very random. Sometimes the display driver will just stop responding and the screen will flicker as well.

The freezing doesn't seem to be application specific, I can be doing anything and can even do it when finishing up it's booting up process even. One application that it sure doesn't seem to like is Microsoft Word or other Office applications.

I have not recently added any software or hardware and in fact the computer has basically been doing it since I got it.

I'm very frustrated with this purchase as I can't even use it.

I had to try uninstalling and re-installing all of the different device drivers in various orders.  I finally got the HD 4000 driver to work by not installing the wired ethernet controller drivers.  I did install the wireless controller.  I don't really use the hardwired connection anyway.  So, at least for me, I got it to work, sort of.

13 Posts

Hey Glenn-

I'm having the exact same issues except I have a Inspiron 5423 14z I, but same situation. No matter what version of the Intel HD 4000 driver I use it will lock up my system. The computer works fine on the "Standard VGA" driver....

Did you have any luck?

3.1K Posts

September 26th, 2013 04:00

Hi jessb_55,

I understand it can be frustrating. You may try a clean re-installation of the video drivers and let me know the outcome.

• Open Device Manager (open run window, type devmgmt.msc).
  • Expand Display Adapters, right click and uninstall Intel graphics driver
  • From the drop down menu, select “Uninstall”.
  • Ensure to check the box “Delete driver software for this device”.
  • Restart the computer. 
  • Then check for the Video drivers in Control Panel -> Add or Remove programs, uninstall the driver, if any.
  • Restart the computer
  • Now re-install the latest drivers from the following link http://dell.to/18ZfoTS
  • Restart the computer and check the functionality.

5 Posts

December 18th, 2014 15:00

Hi, I am experiencing the same system freeze at windows welcome screen or on desktop at random moments for more than 6 months, and it is because of the intel hd graphics, so at the moment I don't have the driver installed, I could really need to solve this please, thank you

13 Posts

December 18th, 2014 19:00

Hi there, yes I recently just did a fresh OS install and the same freezing happens, right away! I had to go back to using the standard video VGA driver or should i say no driver at all lol. Event the driver that Windows installs from Windows Update makes it freeze too! Major pain in the ***

5 Posts

December 19th, 2014 08:00

HI, me too i tried reinstalling windows but still the freeze would come back no matter where i install the driver from, either dells website, intel website or windows update

1 Message

August 25th, 2016 07:00

As if in Windows 7:

1 - Go to Control Panel > Power Options

2 - In Select Power Plan page:

3 - Change plan settings > Change power advance setting > Intel(R) Graphics Settings

Opt for Maximum Performances

No Events found!