Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2013 17:00

Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver for 7720 inspiron 17r special edition

I have a 7720, 17r spec edition. and my usb 3.0 stick isnt working but it does work oni my windows 8 desktop. so far neither microsoft no dell has been able to figure it out.

Im pretty sure it is the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver.  but when i try to install the one on the intel website i get a message saying that my system inst compatible. so i tried to download it from the dell website and it says it cant be found!!!

its really disapointing when your brand new computer doesnt work.

1.1K Posts

March 3rd, 2013 18:00

Hi Logan,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. The driver for USB 3.0 is not available as Windows 8 includes native support for USB 3.0.I will recommend you to  re-install chipset drivers:

• Click on 'Start ‘and right click on 'My Computer'.
  • Click on 'Manage' and click on 'Device Manager'.
  • Expand 'Universal Bus Controller' and right click on each entry named as 'USB Root Hub' and click on 'uninstall'.
  • Once done, restart the system and install Chipset drivers from both the links: 

INTEL Intel Management Engine Interface: http://dell.to/XfgiE3
Dell Intel HM77 Chipset: http://dell.to/Xtphha
Card reader: http://dell.to/VLDhsw

Steps to install a driver:

• Click on 'Download File'.
  • Select 'Single-file download' and click on 'Continue'.
  • Click on 'Save' and save the driver on the desktop.
  • Right click on the driver from the desktop and select 'Run as administrator'.
  • Install the driver following the on screen instructions.
  • Restart the system after the installation is done.

Once the chipset drivers are installed, make sure you install all the Windows updates and restart the system.

Update the BIOS in case the issue is not resolved:

• Click on the link: http://dell.to/12zxqbA
  • Click on 'Download Now'.
  • Select 'Single-file Download' and click on 'Continue'.
  • Click on 'Run' and follow the on screen instructions.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

1 Message

May 13th, 2013 05:00

Hello,

I have the same issue like Logan, i successfully installed the extensible host driver (it also appears in device manager), updated the bios, followed ur steps and it also appears in device manager but I cant use any usb 3.0 devices (western digital ext. HDD). Can you please help me? thank you

Duc

13 Posts

September 5th, 2013 22:00

I have the same problem as Logan & Duzaan.

Did you resolve the issue Duzaan?

Please help.

3.1K Posts

September 6th, 2013 01:00

Hi caddy10,

Please share the exact system model and the operating system installed on your computer. Also, elaborate the issue.

Would also request you to share a screenshot of Device manager with Other Devices expanded.

13 Posts

September 7th, 2013 04:00

Hi Appu S

System model is Inspiron 17R SE 7720, service tag , shipping date 4/20/2013, country Australia. OS is Microsoft Windows 8, version 6.2.9200 built 9200, 64 bit. bios version/date Dell inc A15 17May13. Laptop bought on Ebay, sold as New with fault. Fault being that the 4 USB 3.0 ports not working with device manager showing 'Intel(R) USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)' with a yellow exclamation mark in a triangle. The seller said he had bought it at auction. Tried different usb flash drives in the 4 usb ports but none recognized by the computer. However power is being supplied to the 4 usb ports as a usb led light works in all 4 ports. Updated windows 8 but fault still present. Uninstalled intel(R) usb 3.0 extensible host controller but upon rebooting it was reinstalled. Card reader working ok with SD memory card so can still get info in & out of computer. Tried updating usb drivers from the internet but no luck. Then updated usb drivers from C: drive. intel(r) usb 3.0 extensible host controller-0100(microsoft) with yellow mark in triangle now gone & usb drivers changed to generic drivers. However still no functioning usb ports. Ran full system diagnostic from dell.com.au but no errors found. Downloaded dell backup & recovery program from dell.com.au & created a system recovery DVD DVD restored computer to what i had before & not to factory condition. Prior to creating & restoring system recovery DVD, disk management showed 2 partitions a. system reserved 350MB    b. C: 917.47GB After DVD restored the system i now had 3 partitions a. system reserved 350MB    b. C: 917.47GB    c. recovery 13.70GB So i was surprised that i had to use dell backup & delivery program to install a recovery partition of 13.70GB on the hard drive. I would have thought that dell would already have installed the recovery partition prior to shipping from the factory! Anyway th 4 usb 3 port still not recognizing any usb flash drives. Not sure how to attach device manager but no yellow exclamation marks showing there.

Please advise regards

3.1K Posts

September 10th, 2013 02:00

Hi caddy10,

Please throw more light on Laptop bought on Ebay, sold as New with fault. Do you mean to say that the USB ports were non-functional ever since you bought it. And were you aware about this before purchasing the computer?

Yes, it is true that Dell ships recovery partition from the factory itself. If it was deleted by the user, then whenever you install Dell Backup and recovery program on the computer, a new recovery partition will be created. So, the three partitions showing now is normal.

Try uninstalling USB Root Hubs from Device Manager.

• Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’
  • From the list, look for ‘USB Root Hub’
  • Right click, choose ‘Uninstall’, choose ‘Ok’
  • Uninstall all ‘USB Root Hub’ listed
  • Wait for all the drivers to get uninstalled
  • Restarted the computer
  • Restarting the computer will install ‘USB Root Hub’s automatically on the computer

Also, ensure that Windows updates are up-to date.

13 Posts

September 10th, 2013 04:00

Hi APPU S

Thank you for trying to help me.

Yes the laptop was bought on Ebay.com.au about a week ago. Sold as new but with fault - usb 3.0 ports not working with 'intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller - 0100 (Microsoft)' showing with a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager. Laptop retails in Australia from Dell for $1099 & I bought it for $539 delivered. The seller said on ebay that the laptop had the fault as explained above. The seller said that he bought the laptop at a Dell auction in Tasmania Australia. He said that he did not try to reinstall windows 8. But as we now know, there was no recovery partition on the hard drive so I assume that someone had reformatted the hard drive & reinstalled windows 8. Seller said that this was a known issue with the laptop - usb 3 ports not working with the intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller message.

Now this is what I just did - Fully updated windows 8. Uninstalled the 2 'USB root hub'. Waited till they were uninstalled then rebooted laptop.

This is what was in Device Manager - universal serial bus controllers before I uninstalled the 2 usb root hub. (no yellow exclam. marks.)

generic usb hub

generic usb hub

standard enhanced pci to usb host controller

usb composite device

usb root hub

usb root hub

Uninstalled the 2 'usb root hub'

what was left is                                       (only 2 lines)

Rebooted laptop.

what I now have in device manager under usb controllers              (with no yellow exclam. marks)

generic usb hub

generic usb hub

reaktek usb 2.0 card reader

usb composite device

usb root hub

usb root hub

But usb ports still not recognizing any usb 2.0 flash drives (don't have any usb 3.0 flash drives)

If I had the original recovery partition then I could have performed a factory recover.

Is there any was that I can obtain the original factory recovery partition?

Many thanks for your time

regards Pete

3.1K Posts

September 12th, 2013 04:00

Hi Pete,

Thank you for the information; appreciate it.

Try updating the chipset drivers from our Support Site. Here is the link http://dell.to/15mtkoc -> choose the operating system -> expand Chipset, download and install all the options listed. Then choose the operating system as Windows 7, download and install Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver and see if it helps.

Unfortunately, once the original recovery partition is deleted, it cannot be obtained again. Seems like the formatted before you purchased it. 

If it still doesn't work, then it might be a hardware issue and we may have to replace parts.

Please share the findings; will take it further.

13 Posts

September 14th, 2013 16:00

Hi

I installed the chipset drivers ok.

But when I try to install the 'intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller driver' I keep getting the following message

'error - this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software'

The usb 3 ports are still not working.

I remember reading on the internet where this same error message has been received by other model 7720 users.

I am a retired electrical engineer & I think that the hardware is ok & the problem lies with a conflict between the dell 7720

& the usb 3 software drivers. The other 7720 owners who have had this same problem have not said if they resolved

their problem. I don't know what can be done now! Maybe Dell will investigate this conflict with the 7720 computer

& resolve the problem......

3.1K Posts

September 17th, 2013 02:00

Hi Pete,

Try the following steps and let me know the outcome.

Click on this link http://bit.ly/WHwgmi . Download the files named iusb3hub.inf and iusb3xhc.inf  and save them to the desktop.

Copy and paste these 2 files on the Usb extracted folder location under C drive > Dell > Drivers > Usb 3.0 Extracted Folder [Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver\Drivers\Win7\x64

Restart the computer and check the yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager.

13 Posts

September 17th, 2013 22:00

Hi Appu S

Thanks for trying so hard to assist me.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/usb3/sb/CS-033977.htm?wapkw=intel+usb+3.0+extensible+host+controller+driver

Intel.com says - windows 8 has a native in-box usb 3.0 driver. Intel is not releasing a specific intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller driver for windows 8.

If you are upgrading windows 7 to windows 8, uninstall the intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller driver before installing the upgrade.

If i try to install intel (R) usb 3.0 extensible host controller driver for windows 7, i receive the following message -

'this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software'. No doubt due to the fact that i have windows 8 on my pc.

The procedure detailed at http:/bit.ly/WHwgmi does not work for me. It states that you can force windows to use the intel usb 3.0 host controller

drivers instead of the built in stack (windows 8) but this can only be carried out if the pc has 'intel(r) usb 3.0 extensible host controller' under usb controllers

in device manager. 

I did have this entry in device manager (usb controllers) with a yellow exclam. mark when i first purchased the pc but the line disappeared after i updated

this driver by searching on my pc.

I do not know how to get this line back into device manager & this is required in order to peform the procedure.

So i am stuck - Intel does not have usb 3.0 driver for windows 8 & if i try the driver for windows 7, i get an error message.

regards, Pete.

3.1K Posts

September 19th, 2013 05:00

Hi Pete,

Thank you for the response. Let me research on this issue. Please allow me 2-3 business days. I will keep you posted.

3.1K Posts

September 24th, 2013 02:00

Hi Pete,

I have forwarded this case to the concerned team. I am awaiting a response. Will keep you posted.

13 Posts

September 24th, 2013 17:00

Thank you APPU S

I believe that the procedure as detailed at http:/bit.ly/WHwgmi is the correct procedure but unfortunately i lost the

'intel (R) USB 3.0 extensible host controller driver' in device manager when i tried to upgrade this driver.

An IT relative of mine spent hours looking at the problem & said that he has used that procedure before on other

computers with success but you need that line in device manager to upgrade drivers to intel drivers.

He suggested that i need to reinstall windows 8 to get the line back in device manager then to apply the procedure.

But that would require me purchasing another windows 8 license. Why should i have to do that as i have a legitimate

windows 8 license already.

An internet search shows that this problem is not isolated to my PC but many PC's worldwide have this problem.

Microsoft has failed to support USB 3.0 on all devices with their windows 8   and Intel will not release  USB 3.0 drivers for windows 8.

It is a sad reflection on the computer industry. I don't blame Dell because i think that they are just caught in the middle of this problem.

Regards Pete.

3.1K Posts

September 25th, 2013 05:00

Hi Pete,

To me, it seems to be a hardware issue. I believe you have already restored the computer to factory defaults. 

I can assist you in getting the parts replaced. You would need to provide the first and last name that appears on the account for verification purpose.

No Events found!