Highlighted
KevinM88
1 Nickel

Internal hard disk drive not found...

Whenever I start up my Dell XPS 15 I get the error "Internal hard disk drive not found..."

I checked the BIOS and it shows the hard drive is there and also ran the Dell Startup thing that checks the different components and got no errors.

What do I do next?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mary G
6 Indium

RE: Internal hard disk drive not found...

Run the Dell Diagnostics again but this time select the Custom Hard drive extended test. The hard drive has most likely failed.

0 Kudos
KevinM88
1 Nickel

I ran the long tests and no errors came back.

0 Kudos
naveenanna
1 Copper

Try boot scan bro.. It may helpful to solve this issue. If the problem persists again.. Try to re-install windows.. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

Hi KEVINM88,

What is the exact system model? What is the current OS on the machine? When did the issue start? Does the system have only one HDD or is there an msata drive? Does it boot into windows at any point at all or do you only see the message after the Dell logo and nothing after it? Was the system dropped? Was there any liquid spillage on the machine?

Try resetting BIOS defaults and check - press f2 key on startup to enter BIOS - press f9 to load defaults and f10 to save and exit. Restart and check.

Try reseating the HDD and check - http://dell.to/1n3X2po - enter the service tag and download the service manual.

If the system is under warranty, write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details. If there is no warranty, then we can help with a paid service call if required.

Keep us updated.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Rishi
Social Media and Communities Professional
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos