Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Re: Internal mic not working

Jump to solution

All of a sudden my microphone did not work.

Just had an afterthought. To be sure we are talking about the same thing, when you say it is not working do you mean that when you record something and play it back you do not hear anything? Or do you mean when you speak into it you do not hear yourself? Because those are two separate issues.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Ariel0205
1 Copper

Jump to solution

It has a post on the left side with mic and audio, it works fine when and suddenly it can detect the microphone but wont receive any signals. I did reinstall my OS to Vista since this old lappy doesnt support Win 7, I have done reinstall all the drivers in orders via the side ot Del. Still didnt work I have run Dell diagnostics and everything went ok no HW failure.

0 Kudos
Ariel0205
1 Copper

Jump to solution

When I speak into it i dont see any signal at all, I used the USB mic same thing no signal. For the USB mic at the Record Tab section the bar is totally Green but no activity when I speak Up. The sigmatel on the other hand dont show any green bar at all but it shows both have the status of "working" so not sure what to do? BTW, the usb mic i have is a plug and play and no drivers needed it works on the other computer.

Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

On the Recording tab, is this what you see for the external mic in the side?

"Microphone/Line In

Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC"

When you insert the mic plug into the laptop's jack socket, the laptop does not know if it is a mic or a line-in, so you have to tell it. Go to the Control Panel>Sigmatel and open that. You should find an option to "allow popups" or something like that. Check that. When you next plug in the mic you should get a dialog box that asks you to select the type of device, so select "microphone". That will reconfigure the jack to work with a mic.

Something else you can try is to right click in blank area of the Recording tab. Select "Show Disabled Devices".

If you see "External Microphone" right click on it and select "Enable". Set to be the "Default Device".

0 Kudos
Ariel0205
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've done all those with no luck. So last night I've downgraded my OS from Win 7, Vista and now I'm using XP hoping to get the microphone work. Unfortunately samething. The mic is detected and it shows device is enabled however, it still wont detect any signal. The Sigmatel shows popup and I've selected mic still not working. Not sure what to do now.  I've ran the diagnostics again and same thing all HW are fine.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

I've ran the diagnostics again and same thing all HW are fine.

Which diagnostics exactly?  it should be the Dell Diagnostics audio "Record & Playback" test. The test is interactive -- you have to plug in the mic, speak into in, listen to the playback, and then tell the test if you heard yourself.

Dell Diagnostics looks like this after you boot to your Utilities cd and the PSA tests finish:

The PC Checkup mic test "might" be helpful. I don't know if it works with an external mic or not -- I have not yet tried it. looks like this:

0 Kudos
acorbo26
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

how do you get to this ^^^  my mic isnt working and they were gonna charge me to fix it. i have no money. please help i dont know how to get my mic working.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

ow do you get to this ^^^  my mic isnt working and they were gonna charge me to fix it. i have no money. please help i dont know how to get my mic working.

What model laptop do you have and what operating system?

0 Kudos
acorbo26
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

dell inspiron 1521

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

dell inspiron 1521

What operating system? The 1521 model had Sigmatel audio hardware so you should have the Sigmatel driver for your OS installed.

Not all 1521's had an internal mic. The 1521 came with an optional webcam. The internal mic array is part of the webcam so be sure it was ordered at the time of purchase. To set up the mic array,

For the external mic, go to the Sounds properties Recording tab and select "Microphone Array" as the default recording device. When it is set as the default it will have the green check next to it.

If you just see "High Definition Audio Device" and not "Sigmatel High Definition Audio Codec" then the Sigmatel audio driver is not installed. In that case install the Sigmatel driver for your OS.

If you do not see an option to select mic array it could be disabled, in which case

1. Go to Start>Control Panel>Sound>Recording tab
       or Start>Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Manage Audio Devices>Recording tab

2. Right click in blank area of the Recording tab

3. Select "Show Disabled Devices"

4. "Microphone Array" or "External Microphone" should appear

5. Right click on "Microphone Array" and select "Enable".

6. Set to be the "Default Device"

For the mic array to work you might need to start Webcam Central:

1. Click Start
   2. Click All Programs
   3. Click the Dell Webcam
   4. Click Webcam Central to start the program.
   5. In the lower right-hand corner of the Dell Webcam Central window, click the drop-down arrow next to the picture of the microphone. Select Microphone. Make sure it is not muted.

If you do not have the Webcam Central, install the Creative Labs Integrated Webcam Drive for XP and Vista OS.

If you are trying to run the mic tests in Dell Diagnostics, see the instructions in Dell Diagnostics Audio Tests and look at the screen shots above this post. Note that if the original hard drive has been wiped or replaced you will no longer have Dell Diagnostics, in which case you can run it from the Utilities cd if one came with your laptop.

0 Kudos