Highlighted
2 Bronze

Internal speakers not showing in playback devices even after installing audio driver(Windows 8.1)

Hi,

Having my Dell Xps 14.But suddenly, audio went off. Speaker Icon on tray showing as Muted. Internal speakers not showing in playback devices even after installing latest audio driver(Windows 8.1).

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
7 Gold

RE: Internal speakers not showing in playback devices even after installing audio driver(Windows 8.1)

Try using Windows System Restore (type system restore into the search box) and pick a date from before the problem began.

Jim Coates -- 16 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: Internal speakers not showing in playback devices even after installing audio driver(Windows 8.1)

Thanks Jim,

i think, my warranty was over for laptop. Still i will try restoring it other check point. Btw, what the issue, it might be?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

it didnt work,as I don't have any restore point, with old dates to restore.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

I don't know what the problem is. Another person had a similar problem yesterday and using System Restore fixed it. It might have been caused by a Microsoft update but I have no way of knowing. I also cannot know if the problem you are having is the same one the other person had -- just that the symptoms are similar.

Please clarify the name of your model. Is it an XPS 14 L421X?

Check Windows Audio Service.(type services.msc in the box.) Scroll down to Windows Audio Service in the list and make sure it is running and set to automatic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

yes, its XPS 14 L421X? and Windows audio is running as Automatic too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Look in your Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the search box) and see if you have "Sound, Video and game controllers"  like in the screen shot below.

If so, look for either "Realtek High Definition Audio"  or "High Definition Audio Device".

If you have "Realtek High Definition Audio", right click on it and select to uninstall. Put a check mark in the option to delete the files, and then ok. When you reboot, Windows will either install its own native driver or another Realtek driver if there were any other versions on the hard drive. So go back to the Device Manager and check for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & rebooting until Realtek no longer appears under Sound Controllers and "High Definition Audio Device" appears in its place. Then test your audio again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jim,

I am able to see only High Definition Audio device only, not any relatek in Device Manager. So i think, i am good in that.

Between, in the settings, it says, No Speaker or Headphones are plugged in.

May be some issues with speakers?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

I am able to see only High Definition Audio device only, not any relatek in Device Manager.

The "High definition Audio" is the native Windows audio driver. It is a basic driver that does not have all of the features you might need but it does normally produce basic audio. Try right clicking on it and select to "update" the driver and let Windows try to find one.

The fact that you do not have Realtek in the Device Manager means that the Realtek audio driver was not installed when you thought you installed it as you said in your first post.

I cannot read your screen shot because it is too small. I tried enlarging it but then it was too fuzzy. to read.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Tim,

I spoke to Dell Support and did diagnosis on my laptop and found it out, it was sound card failure. As it is integrated with mother board, they want to replace entire mother  board and it cost $330 😞

0 Kudos