Highlighted
A95
1 Copper

Internal speakers suddenly stopped working (Dell Inspiron 3521)

Hello!

Some weeks ago the sound stopped working on my Dell Inspiron 3521. I can hear sounds when i connect headphones or speakers. I had windows 7 and i thought that the problem could be solved if i updated to window 10, but it didn't work. My drivers seem to be up to date. Is it a common problem on theese laptops or it might be a hardware problem? Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

RE: Internal speakers suddenly stopped working (Dell Inspiron 3521)

My drivers seem to be up to date

Hello. This is the only Realtek audio driver that Dell provides for the Inspiron 3521 with Win10. Install it if Windows did not already do so.

You can test the driver by switching between the Realtek driver and the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

If you only have the symptoms with one of the drivers, then the other is at fault. If you have the same symptoms with both audio drivers, then it is very probably not a driver issue.

The best test for determining if an issue is with the hardware or software is to perform a system recovery (revert back to original factory configuration) and test for the issue immediately afterward. If the issue is still there then it is in the hardware. If gone, it was the software (but this test assumes that the issue was not there when the laptop left the factory).

might be a hardware problem?

Because you have had the problem with 2 different Windows installations, it is probably a hardware failure. There is a hardware problem that results in the symptoms you have. See the 1st section of the Headphone Jack FAQ for details of the problem and how to diagnose it.

Jim Coates -- 14 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos