Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2014 21:00

Internet connectivity lost after reinstall of Win7 Home Premium

Let me set the problem. My Dell XPS L502 is running Win 7 Home Premium. It has an Intel i7 processor and 8 gb ram along with a 750 gb hard drive. This machine started causing problems with some programs and the programs could not be installed. I had seen this problem a couple years ago and solved it by reinstalling Win7. Therefore, I tried the same thing this time only to find that after reinstalling Win7, many of the drivers were gone. Including drivers for my wireless card and USB ports. I still have the use of the DVD drive and Win7 runs but that doesn't do much good. I do have "synaptics" control but I do not like the "touch pad" so I very much prefer an external mouse. I have tried several things which do not work. Most recently, I tried to force the Recovery Partition to open up its secrets using a post at: http:://smsoftdev-solutions.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-restore-dell-factory-image-when-PC -restore-does-not-work This reference seemed to offer possible solutions but none that I tried would work. I have also read that once a "Reinstall Disk" has been used, the Recovery Partition becomes "unavailable" which is precisely what the above reference talks about. So how do I manage to install the appropriate drive to give me "internet connectivity" so I can go to Dell and down load the up-to-date drivers for my system. Thank you very much for all the assistance that you will provide to solve this issue.

16 Posts

May 5th, 2014 12:00

Dell sent me the drivers for my system and things are back up and running.  Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  Many were very useful.

use your service tag to get the drivers from dell.com

I also recently reinstalled windows 8......

you can connect your pc through Ethernet and then download drivers for wifi.......

I did this myself

16 Posts

April 25th, 2014 17:00

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the Ethernet drivers have been compromised along with lots of other drivers. It would be lots better if there were some useful way to access and use the "Recovery Partition". The suggestions mentioned in my earlier post did not work for me.

16 Posts

April 25th, 2014 17:00

The Service Tag suggestion was quite appropriate. Eventually, I did reach a Tech Support agent at Dell and spent more than an hour, mostly listening to dead air, hashing out that I did in fact own the machine I referenced. After all of that the Tech suggested sending me an "Install Disk" with the, I hope, drivers that I need to get back up and running. I appreciate your suggestion.

April 25th, 2014 21:00

I don't think you can access recovery partition to get the particular files or drivers. Recover partition is used to restore the pc to factory condition. using recovery partition will also restore your divers

April 25th, 2014 21:00

as I told you I myself recently Formatted the system. after format was complete all the drivers were gone, which is absolutely normal but the Ethernet was working. As you have formatted the system all the drivers must have gone. you can troubleshoot your Ethernet using control panel. also you can download drivers from another pc or your phone.

hope it helps  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 26th, 2014 16:00

MackTruck,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

16 Posts

April 27th, 2014 13:00

Rick, May I request some clarification. I did reinstall "Reinstallation DVD Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit" which came with my computer. I did not install the "Dell System Software" because I do not have this disk. I was led to understand when I talked to a Dell Tech person that it was this "Drivers and Utilities" Disk that is being shipped to me as of Friday. I was under the impression that this disk would provide the "Dell System Software" and other drivers that are needed to get my system up again. Please correct my assumptions if you find them in error. When the disk arrives, are there any special methods that I should use to get the proper software installed on my system? Or, is it as straight forward as inserting the disk into the drive and "letting it do its thing"? I have the document that you suggested and will print that soon. You input and suggestions are truly appreciated. Paul Holm

16 Posts

April 27th, 2014 14:00

I don't think you can access recovery partition to get the particular files or drivers. Recover partition is used to restore the pc to factory condition. using recovery partition will also restore your divers

DANISHAFIZ007 Thanks again and I sincerely appreciate what you are telling me. What I found, when I started this whole mess, was that there was no listing for the "recovery partition" in the "advanced recovery methods" on "control panel". Since I had, what I thought was the system recovery disk, I started from that. Only then did I discover that it was the OS disk. I had even prepared a "repair disk" as recommended for a "new computer". That disk apparently did not work and I don't know what is supposed to on that disk anyway. Many thanks I appreciate your input.

16 Posts

April 27th, 2014 14:00

DANISHHAF1Z007 Thanks for the suggestion. As it happens, I've tried your solution of using another PC, only to find that the list of drivers, etc. for my XPS L502 is not complete and I don't know how to force the Dell Support page to give me the OEM list of drivers. I have (had before disaster) updated the drivers for the system and now I only get a list of suggested drivers with no indication of which are the ones I need. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thank you so very much.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 27th, 2014 15:00

Paul,

Download and install in this exact order...(There is not a Dell System Software for this model)

Intel HM67 Chipset Driver

Intel Management Engine Interface Driver

Renesas USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver

Jmicron JMB389 Card Reader Driver

Then download and install...

Realtek RTL8111DL Ethernet Controller, RTL8111E Gigabit Ethernet Controller, RTL8111EL Driver

Then go to Dell Warranty Status enter your service tag, click on original configuration. Look and see what wireless adapter is installed. Then go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, select your operating system. Under network download the drivers for your wireless adapter.

Then download and install Dell QuickSet Application

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Rick

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 27th, 2014 15:00

Follow the instructions here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/

Regarding system drivers, please provide the hardware IDs:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/downloading-drivers-checking-hardware-ids-and-downloading-and-installing-dell-system-drivers-in-the-correct-order/checking-hardware-ids-in-the-device-manager/

I can then instruct you in what drivers to install. You can download them to a USB stick using another system and then install them in order. Take note of the driver installation order and make sure drivers extract and install and not only extract (as shown in the video at the bottom):

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/downloading-drivers-checking-hardware-ids-and-downloading-and-installing-dell-system-drivers-in-the-correct-order/driver-installation/

16 Posts

April 27th, 2014 17:00

natakuc4, Many thanks for the information and I will follow up on finding the "hardware ID's" though I'm not sure which I should be looking for. The URL reference you provided at the top looks like it will be of considerable help. I'll get back on this but it won't be until Monday sometime. With great appreciation for you advice. Paul Holm

16 Posts

April 27th, 2014 18:00

Rick, After reading what you've told me, I am very curious to find what Dell is sending me as far as what is on the disk I'll be receiving. Without looking in detail as I'm running short on time today, I do not think that my Dell XPS L502 Laptop has a USB 3.0 controller. I think that it was built before Dell was putting USB 3.0 on this laptop. My impression that is USB 2.0. As I replied to "natakuc4", I will have to do some looking about the "hardware ID's". Thanks again for your continued advice. It is so very much appreciated. Paul
No Events found!