Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2013 11:00

Invert Two-Finger Touchpad Scrolling on Latitude 6430

Is there any way to invert the two-finger scrolling on the touchpad?  The default behaviour is for a gesture downwards to scroll the screen up, and a gesture upwards to scroll the screen down - probably taken from OSX and easily the worst and most frustrating "feature" of my new laptop at work.  There is no option to reverse this in the touchpad settings.  

1 Message

October 24th, 2014 16:00

Thank you a thousand times over! The reverse scrolling was driving me nuts. 

1.8K Posts

February 13th, 2013 12:00

Hi r34ctor, 

It appears to be working as designed. Latitude E6430 series is shipped with Alps touchpad. While researching on this issue, I found some steps that work on Synaptics touchpad and might work on your computer. You may refer to link: http://bit.ly/9DJKwD 

Please reply for further clarifications. 

2 Posts

February 13th, 2013 13:00

While I understand this is the designed behaviour, it is frustrating, and frankly, poor.  For one thing, Dell should never have tried to copy the OSX design.  Inverting the scrolling is counter-intuitive.  Second, even if this can be justified, the least Dell could've done was copy the entire design and make the behaviour configurable.  Having to install third-party software to enable this is absurd.

1.8K Posts

February 14th, 2013 16:00

Hi r34ctor, 

Thank you for sharing your perspective; appreciate it. I understand that you are not comfortable with the functionality; can be frustrating.  Unfortunately, this touchpad works as per its default settings and may not be configurable with a 'Dell utility'. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

29 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 13:00

Ugh.  Just got my 6430 and this is crap.

1 Message

April 29th, 2013 10:00

I to am having the same problem with Gestures, primarily having no way to reverse their default directions. The frustrating thing for me is how counter intuitive it is.  When I move my fingers down, I expect the viewing area to move down, not up. When I move them up, I expect the viewing area to move up, not down. Same with left and right. This is completely opposite to every laptop I have used in the past.

It's even completely opposite to the Touchpad's Scroll & Zoom feature found on my very same laptop which, when I move my finger downward, the viewing area moves down the page as expected, and moves right as my finger does, again, as expected. So not only are you confusing users coming from different makes of laptops, you're confusing users going between two different features of Dell's own Touchpad by sending the page in opposite directions with the same directional movement of the fingers, and then give users no way to change the direction to their preference.

I kept thinking that there must be a way to reverse it because even the little animation in the Gestures settings box shows the viewing area first moving to the right when the two fingers move right, then down the page as the two fingers move downward. I kept thinking to myself, if the animation can do it, it must be possible but if I am to believe you, it's not.

I wonder how many cars would get sold if the manufacturer decided to make the car turn left when the user turned the steering wheel right, regardless of the mileage, horsepower, or aesthetics that the car had to offer. User experience trumps everything because the device that does what you want it to will get you farther than ones that don't, regardless of specs.

I've had my first product from Dell for less than an hour and I'm already regretting it. Such a shame that small details as this (if Dell deems how a user interfaces its product as small, Apple certainly doesn't) can ruin all the other capabilities that Dell has spent so much effort refining.

1 Message

May 17th, 2013 11:00

Is there any chance Dell will create an option to disable this behavior?  While I understand that they are imitating Apple who is trying to change the scrolling metaphor to match the iPad experience, at least Apple lets you disable it.  

Inverted two-finger scrolling behavior makes no sense for applications such as zooming in/out, or changing selections in a list.  I will steer my customers away from any model that does not include the ability to turn this function off.

2 Posts

June 7th, 2013 12:00

You can invert the scrolling by changing the InvertScrollFlag value from "3" to "0" in the following registry key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alps\Apoint

I attempted to change the same entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE so that it would be effective for any user who logs into the machine, but for whatever reason that didn't work. It must be done on a per user basis using the key above.

June 8th, 2013 19:00

v8.1200.101.124 has this feature available under Gestures, Two Finder Gestures, Reverse Scroll Direction.

I would untick Pinch Zoom as well as my browser window text was constantly zooming in and out.

1 Message

July 1st, 2013 18:00

Thank you!!! Changing the registry key worked perfectly.

I don't understand either why they would not make this an option to change it in the software settings.

1 Message

July 26th, 2013 09:00

I have a newer version v8.1200.101.127 but I don't see the 'Reverse Scroll Direction' option you mention. Screenshot attached. Am I missing something?

2 Posts

August 9th, 2013 08:00

Not sure why it's not showing in your GUI. I have the same version and it shows. However, I know for sure that the registry fix I posted above works regardless of version. Give that a shot.

1 Message

August 9th, 2013 08:00

Thank you for the fix. You made my Friday.

1 Message

August 10th, 2013 10:00

I was having the same issue. My gui is like yours and does not show "Reverse Scrolling" as an option. I tried to change the registry key, but found that this registry key did not exist. I created a new registry key as ejames13 suggested:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alps\Apoint

Create a new DWORD named 'InvertScrollFlag' and set it to 3 for inverted scrolling and 0 for normal scrolling.

Even though the purpose of this thread is to turn off inverted scrolling, I actually used this method to turn it on. Once you use a tablet for a while, you get accustomed to swiping up to go down.

1 Message

December 30th, 2013 04:00

@ejames13: YOU.ROCK.

No Events found!