Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2015 07:00

Is a 130W power supply enough for Dell XPS 17 (L701X)?

Hello, everyone! My laptop (Del XPS 17 L701X) started to freeze randomly, so I was thinking that my power supply may be failing (sometimes my laptop also lost power if I the power supply a little bit while connected, sometimes the same supply made a buzzing noise). I have to say, unfortunately this supply was not genuine Dell part, but some "Delta Electronics" supply and I do not have the original any more.  Anyway, I googled for Dell genuine power supply and found this one: Dell 130-Watt 3-Prong AC Adapter with 6 ft Power Cord

accessories.us.dell.com/.../productdetail.aspx;l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=331-5817&mfgpid=208399

That is the one I ordered, but when I connect it, my laptop issues a warning, saying that AC adapter of only 130W is detected ant the system will work slower. I need to connect 150W or more (!) for the computer to operate at full speed. Which is strange, because this exact power supply is listed on Dell's official page. But it turns out that my laptop came with a 150W power supply originally (which I do not have anymore, so I cannot test it or compare it with the new one).

So, I would like to know if this 130W power supply is powerful enough for my computer or I should ship it back and search for a 150W one? I have no means to make a test, but I found on this page, that at full power l701x consumes  about 123W. 

www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-XPS-17-Notebook.42921.0.html

What do you guys think and what are your thoughts about this situation? Thank you in advance!

December 4th, 2015 05:00

Hi, 

Does your machine have a discrete or a UMA motherboard??

If its discrete would request to go ahead with 150 w. 

Regards

26 Posts

December 4th, 2015 15:00

If I understand correctly it has a discrete motherboard, because it's got nVidia GPU and no integrated graphics. If I have to have a 150W power supply, it is indeed very strange that Dell is stating on their homepage that this 130W supply is the one to go for, because I believe there is no l701x with only integrated graphic.  

December 10th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

Can you please PM us the system tag# to look into the specifications .

Any idea what is the VRAM of the motherboard is it 1 or 3??

Regards

26 Posts

December 11th, 2015 01:00

I Pmed you the tag. VRAM in my pc must be 3Gb.

December 19th, 2015 03:00

Hi Martin,

We are awaiting your response for the link so we can forward the concern department who can edit the specifications on the site.

Regards

No Events found!