Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2015 11:00

Issues with two finger scrolling on the alienware 15 synaptic touchpad running windows 8.1

Hello, as the title states, I am having issues with my two finger scrolling with my touchpad. My computer is a new alienware 15, and I am currently running windows 8.1. I do have two finger scrolling enabled, and it works, it just acts weirdly and I would like help understanding what is going on.

This first and primary issue, is that while scrolling up or down a page, I will randomly jump way down the page or way up the page. I am not able to reproduce this issue consistently, so I haven't been able to properly measure it, it just occurs randomly while browsing. I believe it always jumps down while scrolling down and vise versa, but I'm not sure. And I believe the distance of the jump is about equal to page up or page down, but that might just be wishful thinking. I have no idea what is causing this, I have completely disabled tapping, so it shouldn't be zone tapping for page up and page down, but I don't know what else it could be.

The next thing isn't really an issue, but more something I'd like to understand the significance of. When I start the two finger scrolling gesture, a little box appears (seemingly in a random location) and shrinks away almost instantly. It seems to have nothing to do with where my mouse is, nor where my fingers are on the trackpad, so I really don't understand what it's communicating to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Message

June 2nd, 2015 16:00

I had the exact same problem, very annoying, I have Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, but the touchpad is Synaptics as well. So after a lot of searching on this issue, there was one possible solution: Remove the manufacturer driver, and install drivers from synaptics website. www.synaptics.com/.../drivers.php

If you cannot install the driver from synaptics website, (mine failed the first try), then you have to follow these steps:

1. After uninstalling the manufacturer synaptics driver, go to the lower right side of the screen, and click settings -- > power --> hold Shift key and press Restart.

2. A blue screen will appear with options. Choose Troubleshoot --> Advanced Options --> Startup Settings --> Click Restart.

3. After that, your computer restarts, shows u a numbered menu, choose number 7, which will turn off driver signatures.

4. When you are back in windows, download and install the driver from the synaptics website and install.

Hope it works, it worked for me.

February 27th, 2015 16:00

Try decreasing touchpad sensitivity.

1 Message

March 14th, 2015 18:00

Hello, 

I came across your question while searching for the solution to a different, but similar one.

I've had this issue as well, if the cause is the same as mine, the culprit is an optional feature called "inertial scrolling" it allows you to quickly move through content by flicking your fingers off the touch-pad at the end of a two finger scroll. Inertial scrolling can be turned off in the touch-pad properties, under the gestures tab.

Version info:

Synaptics Gesture Suite

SGS Version: SGS 14.4
TouchPad Series 3.0 - Imaging Sensor
Driver Version: 18.1.34.36 06Nov14
Firmware Version: 1.3
Scrybe Version: Not installed
Interface: SMB
Windows Version: Win8.1

1 Message

April 8th, 2015 11:00

tried that and turned off the inertial scrolling feature.

ITS STILL HAPPENING!

i dont think its changing values because i also clicked on reverse scrolling and the scroll is still the same direction..

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING IM ABOUT TO THROW THIS STUPID LAPTOP ON THE FLOOR.

1 Message

April 9th, 2015 08:00

I am having the exact same issue as well!!

The inertial feature does not assist. There isnt even a feature to enable single finger scrolling. Really annoyed.

Its like its detecting something on the screen and selects it. 

2 Posts

April 9th, 2015 09:00

Well it's good to hear other people are having this issue too. I had abandoned trying to fix it after the little number of replies, but it is an issue that still persists for myself as well.

1 Message

April 15th, 2015 18:00

I'm having the same issue except on Google Chrome there is this little square box that replaces the mouse cursor every time I swipe. It looks like a zoom box then it goes away when I stop.  Alien Contact reinstalled the driver, but I had the same issue.  I switched to Mozilla Firefox and the issue went away, but now I have new issues.  The scroll feature highlights everything on the page, or it is slightly inaccurate when I go to click on something.  For example, I will try to rest it on the X to close out a page and it will move away by a hair.  And it does that several times.

It's so frustrating because a 1500 laptop should not have such issues.  My macbook pro touchpad spoiled me. 

It seems like a driver issue + compatibility with webpages because it's fine with everything else.

If anyone finds a fix please post!!

1 Message

April 21st, 2015 01:00

I'm going to bump this because I've got exactly the same issue. It makes using the touchpad for browsing unusable. 

May 4th, 2015 20:00

I think I have a fix!  It sounds counter intuitive but try turning up the scroll speed all the way.  It actually doesn't scroll fast but it seems to fix this issue. The only gesture I have turned on is the panning/scrolling and my touch pressure is in the middle.  Try it out!  Everyone!    

May 4th, 2015 20:00

I am having this issue as well. I tried turning off inertial scrolling and that did not work. It seems like the system is ignoring that setting and doing the inertial scroll anyways.  I seem to be able to reproduce it a lot.  Especially while browsing webpages.  It seems that it happens when I lift my two fingers off of the touchpad.  Because so many people are having this issue Dell needs to do something about it.  How do we get them to listen? Do we all open up support tickets?  Seriously!

May 5th, 2015 11:00

I agree with this. It appears to be something to do with Chrome and the drivers.

May 5th, 2015 11:00

Sorry everyone.  It looked like this fix above did work for a while but then the issue came back although not as much.  Help Alienware! Help!  Fix the driver!

2 Posts

May 13th, 2015 18:00

At least I know I'm not the only one having this issue. Please fix!

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2015 22:00

Thank you! I am using an Alienware and this method worked for me. It did not install properly on the first try, like with yours, but following your instructions I no longer have this issue.

1 Message

August 3rd, 2015 19:00

I also have the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and had the exact same issue. Squares in Chrome when scrolling and jumping to the bottom of the screen occasionally. I tried the solution suggested by barezb and the problem wasn't fixed. However, a few extra steps fixed it. Here's what I did, works for Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro:

1. Follow barezb's instructions (the restart is tricky; when you uninstall the old driver say "restart later" and then do the restart settings thing in barezb's solution. the driver install restart must be the same restart as the one that disables driver install security or else it will reinstall the old driver)

2. After restarting to install the synaptics driver, go to device manager again. Double click the synaptics mouse driver and under the driver tab click "update driver...". This will temporarily bring back the old driver. Don't restart.

3. On the same screen, click "Roll Back Driver". This will bring the synaptics driver back and (if you have the same luck I did) fix the scrolling issue.

FYI for Yoga users this driver doesn't disable the trackpad when you switch to tablet mode, which several people on other forums have noted.

No Events found!