Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2016 12:00

Jittering sound, Video playback lagging, audio and video cutting up.

Alright, I have spend about 3 years trying to resolve this problem and I have done so much research that I felt it would be a waste for me not to post something about it. 

After I owned two Dell laptops, the XPS13 and Alienware 17. Both having the same problems. I tried everything, I read through all of the forums and I tried everytthing these forums have suggested and at multiple occasions I ruined my laptop and had to format it. 

I also always had the full warrenty with Dell customer service and have replaced my xps13 TWICE and my Alienware once. This is of course after replacing the motherboard and the hard drive and spending endless hours over the phone with them while they update all my drivers and ensure my software is running correctly. They ran 100's of tests on my computer to see why this is happening and no one could ever solve this problem. 

However, after all this research with no solution in sight I thought of the problem logically. My alienware was running 16 gb of ram and 1 TB of HDD regular hard drive. I figured if I have so much ram to run anything I want, maybe it is having the regular hard drive that is not keeping up with the ram. Sure enough, when I went and bought the best SSD out there Samsung Pro 950 256 GB and installed it and used it as my operating system while the HDD ran as my storage. For the first time in 3 years and 4 computers... my pc was running with no jitterz or lagging or any issues! 

At the end of the day there was nothing wrong with my hard drive... it was just a matter of design. Dell did not think that having such a huge ram with such a *** hard drive would cause any problems other than slower boot up time ... but eh it's not such a big deal and can be used as a marketing advantage... when in reality it is like having a HUGE HEMI engine with a prius transmission... It is just not good enough.. both powers must match in capabilities. 

Thank you for reading this and I really hope this can help you and you won't have to spend endless hours and time trying to fix a problem that essentially doesn't exist with your computer ... just bad engineering... 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2016 06:00

Hello. Thank you for posting your solution. Which laptop was ii, the XPS or Alienware 17? If the XPS 13, which model? Thanks, as I would like to add your solution to the FAQ's, under a model number.

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2016 09:00

Hello Jim, laptop ii was the Alienware 17 R3.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2016 16:00

No Events found!