mikerobbo
1 Copper

RE: Just ordered the XPS 13 i7 Kaby Lake

Jump to solution

Hi

I came here from your post on this thread

en.community.dell.com/.../20971717

I have a 9360 less than a week old, I am suffering from this "coil whine" I believe.

It's fine when doing normal tasks but if it gets under stress, playing a game for example (I even ran the dell diagnostics tool and tested the graphics  but I get the buzzy/clicky noise.) I checked my motherboard and it is A00?

Should this have been fixed or do I also need a A02 motherboard?

0 Kudos
aerobuffetguy
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Based on this forum and other info that I've read online, if you have a 9360 then they send you old inventory or a unit build after the release of the A02 board that was built with the old one. Not sure why Dell would do either, given the outcry. I'm reaching the point where I can't afford to wait much longer. So if Dell is still shipping unit that don't have the A02 board all I can say is "shame on them," and they're forcing me to take a serious look at the Lenovo Yoga (l liked both the keyboard feel AND the trackpad on it better but it's hard to dismiss the XPS accolades.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@aerobuffetguy I do agree with you, I'm also disappointed by the inconsistency of Dell replies on the motherboard versions issue! My 9360 was manufactured last 20th of January and received from China 3 days ago has a A00 motherboard instead of the new A02 that, according to Dell, should have been rolled out from the beginning of January!

I'm really interested to read a reply from Dell to your post!

0 Kudos
John4539
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

My 9365 is on its way to depot. I'm expecting they'll replace the A00 motherboard with the A02 motherboard: I'll post an update once I get it back.

0 Kudos
John4539
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Update: The required part (assuming A02 motherboard) is unavailable until March 3. Dell sent me the following statement...

"John, as this issue was reported within 30 days of system purchase I have escalated this case and raised a request for a system exchange to the concerned department. If the request is approved Dell will provide you a New system exchange."

Since the first laptop came with the A00 motherboard, I'm expecting the new laptop (if approved) to contain the A02 motherboard.

0 Kudos
John4539
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Update: I received the new unit (replacement unit not the repaired unit) on Tuesday. It still has a coil whine issue (though I was told it would have updated hardware which would eliminate coil whine). In addition there are two separate noises periodically coming from the unit. One is a loud squeaking noise (sounds like when you scuff your shoe on the floor) and the other is a more subtle (but still noticeable) clicking noise. I am in conversation with Dell about getting a refund. I don't recommend this model. Planning on switching to Apple.

0 Kudos
kennedybaird
1 Copper

Jump to solution

@Justin C

I have sent you a friend request about my Dell XPS 13 9360, could you please confirm so we can start a dialogue about my coil whine issue? Thanks

0 Kudos