Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2017 02:00

Keyboard failure

A few days ago my four year old Inspiron 15 keyboard began to malfunction. Space bar and a couple of keys don’t work. The only response I’ve had from Dell is a quote of $165 to replace the keyboard. I consider this excessive. The 15 7000 series is quite an expensive laptop and though I’ve been pleased with it the laptop malfunction and lack of support (no information offered as to who will do the job andvwherebtomtake/send it) has shaken my confidence. Can anyone offer a cheaper solution?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 12th, 2017 05:00

out of warranty is out of warranty.

Do you think Ford is going to repair your out-of-warranty car for free????

Anyway, download the service manual for you particular model of Inspiron 15.

There are a couple.

And see if it is something you want to do yourself.

If you do, look for the keyboard part on eBay.

Otherwise, you can take it to a local computer shop.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 12th, 2017 07:00

Like many, Dell has flat-rate service.  Same goes for most of the major chains - Best Buy, Staples, etc.

Find a good local computer shop that charges by the hour for labor.  chances are the cost of the part ($20-50 depending on whether your model has a separately replaceable keyboard or requires replacing the keyboard and palmrest together) -- plus whatever their minimum labor charge is (if it's an hour, figure $50-75 depending on where you live.  Total of about $74-125.

For that matter, on most systems, replacing the keyboard is well within the do it yourself range -- you may be able to replace your keyboard for just the cost of the part(s).

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 12th, 2017 14:00

It depends on the system, but as with most labor-based services, and hour is usually the minimum unit charged.  You can have a knob replaced on your washing machine -- takes 5 min -- but you'll still pay for the house call/labor. It's just the way labor-based repair works.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Did you turn it upside down and tap it "gently" to remove any debris?

3 Posts

Thank you for this very sensible advice.  Yes, I have considered replacing the keyboard myself but my hands are no longer very deft and I am nervous about making a mess of it even though Dell does offer a very good video on how to do this. Which rather makes my point that the labour component of replacing a keyboard seems rather high when It should only take a skilled technician five minutes!  I’m not querying the cost of the spare part itself (though do wonder why I should need one after only four years!). I think your second suggestion might be the way to go.

3 Posts

No of course I don’t expect free out-of-warranty service - what a silly thing to say! I DO expect a keyboard to last longer than four years though, as has been the case with every other - and much cheaper - computer I have owned.  And when I buy a computer from a company that promises excellent ONGOING service to clinch the deal I expect people who speak my language to advise me and also some advice in where to take the laptop to get it fixed!

No Events found!