Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

April 10th, 2017 03:00

Keyboard is not working in BIOS

I have a Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. I can access the BIOS using F2 during boot. But inside BIOS I can't change any setting as the keyboard doesn't seem to type. The CPU fan seems to rotate fast inside BIOS. Tried to upgrade BIOS but it tells me to plug both AC adapter and battery and the laptop doesn't switch on with the battery plugged. I use it with direct current only. Please help.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 10th, 2017 06:00

:emotion-2:

I don't know if you tried this step yet but I like to suggest pressing the 'Power On' button for 15 seconds to release Static Flea Power by following steps below:

1. Power off system, removed all peripherals, AC adapter and then battery.

2. Press the 'Power On' button for 15 seconds. Replace the battery, adapter and then power on system. Hopefully computer starts normally.

If that step doesn't fix the problem, I suggest you run the diagnostic tool (F12 key) to check hardware on system. Please power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously. In the menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and click on it. Report back any error code.

11 Posts

April 10th, 2017 06:00

No luck. And F12 key is for boot options not diagnostic.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 10th, 2017 07:00

I'm assuming you didn't see the 'Preparing one time boot menu' or boot options as seen in image below ?

Running Dell F12 Preboot Diagnostics - YouTube

11 Posts

I see the screen. But as I said the keyboard is non responsive after that.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If yes, I suggest you contact Technical Support for further assistance in the link below. Hopefully one of the Dell reps here on the forum, see the thread and be a help to you.

www.dell.com/.../Contact-Information

11 Posts

April 10th, 2017 08:00

There's a numlock key. But it doesn't activate the keyboard either. I can access BIOS and boot menu. It's after that the keyboard becomes non responsive.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Anyway possible you can borrow or purchase a external USB or Bluetooth keyboard to test if it responds correctly?

USB Keyboards - walmart.com

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

On some Dell computers, there's a Num Lock key on the keyboard. If there is one, you can press down on it to see if it will activate the keyboard again. If that doesn't work,try an external USB or Bluetooth keyboard to test if it responds correctly.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please keep in mind, you can contact Technical Support in the link I've posted above. I also suggest you check the system warranty status in the link below:

www.dell.com/.../

11 Posts

April 11th, 2017 07:00

Jesse,

That also doesn't work. Any other tricks?

• 

16.7K Posts

April 11th, 2017 07:00

nishadrox, 

Once in the bios use the Keyboards TAB and Enter Keys to navigate.

1 Message

September 5th, 2017 12:00

Any solutions yet? I am having the same problem with my Dell Vostro 3546.

And external keyboards are not working!

Also, the dell diagnostic tool doesn't show any errors.

1 Message

December 28th, 2017 19:00

I was having the same problem: I could enter the boot options (F12) screen, but the keyboard was not responsive, and thus arrow keys, esc, enter had no effect. Solved by entering BIOS setup (F2) and enabling:

Advanced -> Miscellaneous Devices -> USB debug

Hope that helps!

No Events found!