Highlighted
kapoorudit1983
1 Copper

Keyboard issues with new Dell XPS13 (2015)

Jump to solution

I have just started to us the new Dell XPS 13 (with Touchscreen).

The issue being faced is with the 'Spacebar'. If tapped on  the right edge it inserts a double space! This happens if  the keystroke is held for a slightly long duration. 

I have reduced the repeat rate and the repeat delay but it doesnt solve the problem.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
39 Replies

RE: Keyboard issues with new Dell XPS13 (2015)

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for writing to the community Forum .I am Jennifer and I work for the Dell Social Media Team .

I would request you to advise if the same issue is seen in safe mode and have you had the chance to connect an external keyboard to check its performance thereby we are checking if this is a hardware or a software issue.If the system works fine in safe mode and with external keyboard then most probably  its a software issue.

I hope this helps ,but if there are any more questions do reply to this post will be glad to resolve them for you.

Kindest Regards,

DELL-Jennifer K
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Manuals and Drivers

0 Kudos
RBBen
2 Iron

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
chadlyH
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I would also like to chime in and say that I'm having the same issue. It's specific to the XPS keyboard only, meaning it doesn't happen with external keyboards. It will happen in Safe mode as well as normal mode, and it's easily reproduced by simply tapping on the far left or right edges of the spacebar.

0 Kudos
kapoorudit1983
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I managed to solve the issue. I downloaded the A00 bios update and installed the same. It works

0 Kudos
chadlyH
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Updating to BIOS version A04 resolved it for me.

0 Kudos
EUSPML
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've had my XPS 13 (touchscreen) for about four days and encountered the same problem (the spacebar seems to be  the most affected).  I've done  the BIOs upgrade, tried changing the keyboard repeat/delay rate and it still  randomly adds extra spaces when I type or doesn't add the space at all.  It makes the computer very ineffective for my work.

I will give  this a few more days to see ifi can find a workaround and  if not I  will return this defective machine (sad to see such a basic design flaw).  

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Good day @Euspml ,

Regret the inconvenience caused ! I just wanted to check if the issue with your system is resolved .If there are any concerns do reply to us .

Awaiting your response !

Kindest Regards,

DELL-Jennifer K
#IWork4Dell
Manuals and Drivers

0 Kudos
joshbradshaw14
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My xps 13 2015 has the same double typing issue on the right side  of the spacebar. Coincidentally it double typed while I was typing that last  sentence, and this one as well. I've upgraded the BOIS to A04. I believe that this is a mechanical issue, so I will be returning my computer unless Dell contacts  me with other options.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Good day ! 

Regret the inconvenience caused .

But the current upgraded version of BIOS for this system is A05 .Click here to download this file .

If the issue still remains kindly connect an external keyboard to check if the spacebar behaves the same way on this external keyboard .If there are any more concerns do send the service tag of the system via private message so that I can check the system specifications to assist you further .

Kindest Regards ,

DELL-Jennifer K
#IWork4Dell
Manuals and Drivers

0 Kudos