Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2015 04:00

Keyboard issues with new Dell XPS13 (2015)

I have just started to us the new Dell XPS 13 (with Touchscreen).

The issue being faced is with the 'Spacebar'. If tapped on  the right edge it inserts a double space! This happens if  the keystroke is held for a slightly long duration. 

I have reduced the repeat rate and the repeat delay but it doesnt solve the problem.

Any ideas?

74 Posts

August 27th, 2015 16:00

Hi,

I'm facing the same issues as the OP and i'm also on the latest BIOS version. Please advise on  how I can resolve this issue. Extra space was added due to the  issue

If your computer is brand new call Dell and ask for a refund or an exchange. It seems that its the only way to fix this issue...

@DELL-Jennifer K

Dell have been fighting keyboard issues for well over a year now on nearly all of your high-end notebooks (Latitude E7450, E6440, E5440). It reflects very poorly on Dell... terrible QA and QC.

1.2K Posts

June 3rd, 2015 07:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to the community Forum .I am Jennifer and I work for the Dell Social Media Team .

I would request you to advise if the same issue is seen in safe mode and have you had the chance to connect an external keyboard to check its performance thereby we are checking if this is a hardware or a software issue.If the system works fine in safe mode and with external keyboard then most probably  its a software issue.

I hope this helps ,but if there are any more questions do reply to this post will be glad to resolve them for you.

Kindest Regards,

74 Posts

June 3rd, 2015 08:00

2 Posts

June 5th, 2015 10:00

I would also like to chime in and say that I'm having the same issue. It's specific to the XPS keyboard only, meaning it doesn't happen with external keyboards. It will happen in Safe mode as well as normal mode, and it's easily reproduced by simply tapping on the far left or right edges of the spacebar.

June 5th, 2015 11:00

I managed to solve the issue. I downloaded the A00 bios update and installed the same. It works

2 Posts

June 15th, 2015 11:00

Updating to BIOS version A04 resolved it for me.

4 Posts

June 27th, 2015 08:00

I've had my XPS 13 (touchscreen) for about four days and encountered the same problem (the spacebar seems to be  the most affected).  I've done  the BIOs upgrade, tried changing the keyboard repeat/delay rate and it still  randomly adds extra spaces when I type or doesn't add the space at all.  It makes the computer very ineffective for my work.

I will give  this a few more days to see ifi can find a workaround and  if not I  will return this defective machine (sad to see such a basic design flaw).  

1.2K Posts

June 29th, 2015 10:00

Good day @Euspml ,

Regret the inconvenience caused ! I just wanted to check if the issue with your system is resolved .If there are any concerns do reply to us .

Awaiting your response !

Kindest Regards,

August 1st, 2015 09:00

My xps 13 2015 has the same double typing issue on the right side  of the spacebar. Coincidentally it double typed while I was typing that last  sentence, and this one as well. I've upgraded the BOIS to A04. I believe that this is a mechanical issue, so I will be returning my computer unless Dell contacts  me with other options.

1.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 04:00

Good day ! 

Regret the inconvenience caused .

But the current upgraded version of BIOS for this system is A05 .Click here to download this file .

If the issue still remains kindly connect an external keyboard to check if the spacebar behaves the same way on this external keyboard .If there are any more concerns do send the service tag of the system via private message so that I can check the system specifications to assist you further .

Kindest Regards ,

August 3rd, 2015 07:00

Ok, thank you. That didn't fix the problem, but did lessen it. I'm also having issues with my B key, which clearly has a mechanical design flaw. It collides with the computer's enclosure  on the way down (notice the two double spaces  in this sentence). Is there any way I can have the keyboard on this computer replaced without having to completely return it? I'm willing to box it up and send it back because this is unacceptable for a machine this expensive, but I would prefer to keep the computer for  work (another double space). I have been using it with an external keyboard for the past week with no issues whatsoever. The issue is mechanical, and I can feel the clicking every time I type a bad  key (again!) keystroke. 

4 Posts

August 4th, 2015 12:00

Hi Josh,

I had a similar problem but even had ghost clicks (extra characters). Dell came out and replaced my keyboard and mine works perfectly now.  I now love this little laptop. 

1.2K Posts

August 4th, 2015 12:00

Good day Josh ,

Request you to provide service tag of the system ,along with system owners name ,contact no so that I can check warranty and other details necessary to assist you further for keyboard replacement .

Kindest Regards ,

2 Posts

August 5th, 2015 11:00

A05 Bios did not fix the keyboard repeat issue for me.

The worst thing is, that Dell customer support in the Netherlands tells me that they won't help me as the keyboard issue has been fixed with Bios A04!

2 Posts

August 5th, 2015 15:00

Hi Jennifer,

I am also having the same issue with my space bar as the original poster. When I click on the right or left sides of the space bar I'll get a double space about half of the time. There is no issue when I click on the center of the space bar. I received this laptop only a few days ago, and it came with the A05 bios installed, so this is not the issue.

No Events found!