I just bought the laptop 3 days ago. Today, it did an automatic update of 56 items and my keyboard stopped working. I can only use the on-screen keyboard when putting in my password. Then I can't use either of them. This laptop is an 8.1. I am a writer and need a laptop. My husband is attempting to restore my laptop to before the updates took place. Is there anything else we should try?
Sorry to hear that the keyboard on your new system is not working after the update. Please check the keyboard performance in safemode with networking by following the steps below:
1) Press the Power button at the Windows login screen or in the Settings charm. Then, press and hold the SHIFT key on your keyboard and click Restart.
2) Windows will ask you to choose an option. Press Troubleshoot.
3) In the Troubleshoot screen, press Advanced options.
4) In the Advanced options screen, press Startup Settings.
5) Press Restart.
6) Your computer or device restarts again and displays nine startup settings, including Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking and Safe Mode with Command Prompt
7) F5 to enable Safe Mode with Networking
Also check in BIOS
To go to BIOS you need to shut down the system then push the power button and immediately keep on tapping F2 every second until you see the BIOS screen.
Please try using an external keyboard and keep us updated. Private message us the service tag of your system. Click on my Username and select start conversation to send private message.
This worked for me
1) Shut down computer
2) Remove the power cord
3) Remove battery
4) Hold start button down 10 sec to drain all possible power
5) Plug in power cord and restart
If all goes well, remember to completely shut down laptop and remove the power cord BEFORE putting battery back in.
When I went through the Dell troubleshooter, it said I need new keyboard. But the above solution worked for me 2X and my laptop is 1 month old. I'm still wondering if I should replace the keyboard or if this is really a software/BIOS problem. Anyone out there know?