Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2017 11:00

Killer 1535 the WORST wifi card in history - XPS 15 9560

I don't know who designed this thing, but after fiddling with the drivers for 4 hours, those provided by dell, and others provided by Killer directly, both with and without the associated software installed, this thing still gives me 1/40th the internet speeds compared to my 4 year old laptop on the same router.

I guess I have no choice but to buy a 30 dollar intel 8265 and install it myself.

Given that some people have Killer cards that just work, I have to assume this is a massive QC issue.  Absolutely brutal performance.

1 Message

April 10th, 2017 11:00

So So true! These things solve exactly 0 problems and create many! They are just awful for DPC latency issues. I had to sell a laptop with killer wifi and ethernet because they were "killing" the audio performance. When I disabled both of those it was much, much better, but I'd rather, you know, have access to the internet, too. Why would Dell use these things? I thought only 12 year old boy gamers were impressed by them. Such a shame...

20 Posts

April 10th, 2017 12:00

Hi!

When you install the drivers for the Killer Wifi card, make sure you've disabled your antivirus (Windows Defender as well). From what I read, it can make a difference.

I have the same card, and I use the latest driver from Killer's website.

Did the card work well in the past, or was it always horrible? In the former, it could be due to a software (programs or windows). Think of when it started going downhill. If it is Windows, an easy fix is reinstalling. It is, however, a pain in the *ss. In the latter, after troubleshooting, you may want to use your warranty.

The router. I understand that your old laptop is working fine, but it could still be the router. I suggest rebooting it & making sure the firmware is up to date. Some routers are just bad. In that case, you need another.

My experience with routers is that while some devices worked well, many didn't. In my home, there are 5 cellphones, 3 smart light switches, 4 laptops, 1 desktop, 1 tablet and 3 chrome casts. Routers have a limited capacity. And if you have a lot of devices you may need to upgrade. From my experience, anything below 100% is not worth it (even reputable brands). I know it is a lot of money, and, I'm not willing to spend much either. I've gotten a second hand Netgear R7000 (too expensive for me to buy new) for under 100$ and, it is a beast. No more connection drops, and everything is very fast. I can backup my PC on my network storage while downloading large files.

2 Posts

April 10th, 2017 19:00

I did not disable Bitdefender, but it did not report any issues. Have tried all the drivers but non seem to work. I will have to reinstall while disabling the anti virus though I really don't think that will provide a solution. The only reason I did not disable the Anti virus is because I use the free Bitdefender and could not find a way to disable it. I will have to uninstall it I think.

2 Posts

April 10th, 2017 19:00

I have to agree. This is the first time I am ever encountering this type of problem in almost 20 years of using laptops. This is definitely the worst card ever.

9.4K Posts

April 12th, 2017 05:00

Hi degoydegoy,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information you may find helpful:  http://dell.to/2osq1LP

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 15th, 2017 20:00

This card is horrible, but Dell won't replace it. I ended up returning the laptop for a full refund. Worse customer experience I've ever had in my life, and I will never buy another Dell product again.

I don't know if you saw my post in another thread where I explained I ordered and installed a Killer Wireless 1535 to test in an Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming system.  I downloaded the drivers from Killer and installed the Performance Suite.  So far, on my system using a ASUS  GT-AC5300 router it seems to be working well.  Bluetooth, so far, is also functioning normally.

I got this card so I could test it in case I could help.  If you want info about my install, just advise.  For now, the network speed is showing 866.7 Mbps.

8 Posts

August 15th, 2017 20:00

I wanted to bump this topic after dealing with Dells horrible support.

New XPS 9560. Wifi is horrible and kills my network. I update drivers and try everything, etc. Had to lower the driver to an old Qualcomm one so it stopped killing my network.

I've dealt with 3 Dell techs so far, all of them don't listen. The last one told me my 30 days for returns were up, even though I bough the laptop under 2 weeks ago, and just closed the chat on me.

This card is horrible, but Dell won't replace it. I ended up returning the laptop for a full refund. Worse customer experience I've ever had in my life, and I will never buy another Dell product again.

8 Posts

August 15th, 2017 21:00

I've read that a lot of people have problems with Killer, and that it may have something to do with the type of router it talks to. But I'm not replacing my router when Dell should have just included a decent wifi card to begin with.

It's how the tech support treats you that really made me start the return process. My first attempt was an email to support and I listed all the drivers and stuff I've tried, and then I get a response with like "Step 1, Maybe your wifi switch on the laptop is off..."

Second tech was via chat and told me he couldn't replace the card, even though I know other Dell techs have. Then he said he could replacement the laptop, which made no sense. The card is the problem, send a better one. Then he transferred me to another tech who basically said "Your 30 days are up" and just closed the chat without warning. I ordered the laptop on the 3rd of this month - how he got 30 days out of that I will never know.

I'm still angry even though it was earlier in the day, It's all out-sourced techs that are horrible and don't really care.

8 Posts

August 15th, 2017 22:00

Killer - kills your wifi: www.reddit.com/.../

No Events found!