Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

August 15th, 2017 17:00

Killer wifi XPS 9560/horrible support

Here is the chat with the 3rd terrible Dell tech I've been with involving the bad Killer wifi cards in XPS Dell 9560s. I got transferred to him from another tech who had no idea what he was doing: 

4:41:36 PM     System   System 
You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
 4:41:36 PM     System   System 
Connected with Shaikh Tehseen Moin
 4:41:41 PM     Agent   Shaikh Tehseen Moin 
Welcome to Dell Customer Care Chat! My name is Tehseen.
 4:41:51 PM     Agent   Shaikh Tehseen Moin 
Hi Arun, How are you doing today?
 4:42:44 PM     Customer   Me 
Good.
 4:43:21 PM     Agent   Shaikh Tehseen Moin 
How may I assist you Arun?
 4:44:31 PM     Customer   Me
I have a new XPS 9560 with a Killer wireless card. The card is killing my local network even after updating it to the newest drivers. I had to downgrade it to an older Qualcomm driver to get it to stop doing that. But the card is still slow.
 4:44:49 PM     Customer   Me
I have read in other forums that many other people have this same problem and Dell has been getting them Intel card replacements, like here:  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20006805/
 4:45:00 PM     Customer   Me
I'm hoping to get an Intel replacement.
 4:45:46 PM     Agent   Shaikh Tehseen Moin 
I have your service tag as FLTG9H2 is that correct?
 4:45:59 PM     Customer   Me
Yes
 4:47:27 PM     Agent   Shaikh Tehseen Moin 
Kindly contact to technical support team, for assistance on the issue customer care cannot process the replacement on the order, as the order is out of 30 days policy.
 4:47:42 PM     Agent   Shaikh Tehseen Moin 
They can only assist you with the issue .
 4:47:47 PM     Agent   Shaikh Tehseen Moin 
Your chat has been connected to customer care department, and I am not technically trained to assist you with Technical issues. I would request you to please contact Technical Support at 1800-624-9896 to get assistance with your concern. They are available 24 X 7. 
You may use this chat link as well :- 
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/chat/hardware_chat?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs 
Please choose second option were you need to enter the service tag no. and then you will be connected to tech support chat.
 4:47:52 PM     Agent   Shaikh Tehseen Moin 
You may end the chat session in case you do not have any other query. Thank you for choosing Dell. Have a great Day.
 4:47:52 PM     System   System 
Shaikh Tehseen Moin has left this session!
 4:47:52 PM     System   System 
The session has ended!

I bought this laptop last week through the Dell site. IT HASN'T BEEN 30 DAYS. I have never had such an awful experience with any sort of support personnel in any company. This guy just literally cut me off without any warning, after I was transferred to him from another clueless tech who said the only solution was to replace the whole laptop (the problem is just a wifi card).

I am returning this XPS because of my terrible experience with Dell. I will *never* purchase another Dell laptop/PC ever again.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 16th, 2017 09:00

I am returning this XPS because of my terrible experience with Dell. I will *never* purchase another Dell laptop/PC ever again.

I know you have had other posts on this subject.  When someone has a problem they usually give the basic info which might be needed by others to see help with a problem.  You gave your computer model but you did not say which Killer Wireless you have.  You don't mention which Wireless Router you have.  And you do not state exactly what is happening when the "Killing my Network" happens.

Other things you might keep in mind is first , a local network is limited by its slowest device, and not just a router.  If you have an older type wireless device, you might try turning it/them off for testing.  Secondly, in you situation, it may be that Win 10 is involved in the situation.  Every build of Win 10 seems to move beyond certain types of devices.

You have to believe Dell checked the configuration prior to offering the system for sale.  You need to do something to get that system in another environment for testing.

If you have made up your mind about sending the unit back, then disregard the rest, but I would suggest you download the drivers from the Killer site (Killer-Ethernet-Wireless_ Zip.zip) and extract.  Then use Device Manager to uninstall the device and select the box to uninstall all drivers.

Then check the Programs and Features dialog, available from Settings, Apps, bottom of window, to see if any Killer software is still installed and uninstall it.

Reboot the system and make sure you are not online.  Look for the Killer Performance Suite and install it. 

I don't work for Dell .. just trying to help.  Since others have had problems, maybe you can be to one to find a solution.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 16th, 2017 19:00

Another long post with no info.. I don't think you are actually wanting help.....

8 Posts

No, the problem is, like a Dell tech, you don't read anything someone says and don't care about what they've already tried. It's a known issue for not just Dell devices but pretty much anything Killer touches.

I *did* however just get an email back from Dell after mailing their us_sales@dell.com yesterday. They verified that the third tech I spoke to had no clue what he was doing and are now going to replace my card with an Intel one instead of me returning the whole thing, so thanks to Dell for that at least.

My advice for people here - contact sales instead of the tech support apparently if you want to replace defective hardware.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Really, I asked what router you were using.  The reason was because I have two non-ac routers I could have tested with the Killer card.  It would be nice if you would stop dwelling on the past and just let us address the situation.

In case you did not know, on person with the problem was showing a driver running, nwifi.sys, which is not running on my system.  All I can think is an update from Killer modified their drivers and eliminated that situation.

But, I will move on to someone who might want some help.

Sorry..

8 Posts

I appreciate the help, but here's what I've went through so far:

1) Did all the Dell diagnostics stuff and emailed them the result to start. They already have all the info about my laptop, and I explained all the steps I already took and how I had to resort an old Qualcomm driver. It took me about half an hour to to list the drivers, show the other posts on the internet where other folks have had a similar problem and Dell replaced their card, etc.

Then what I got back was "You seem to be having wireless problems. Step 1, make sure the Wireless switch is on..."

2) I went to a Dell chat instead. I had to explain the entire situation over again, and just got "No, we never replace cards. But we can replace the laptop." I asked to be connected with another tech instead.

3) This third person wasn't a tech it turns out. It was a customer service rep. After explaining the problem for the third time, all he said was that my laptop was out of the 30 day return period (which it isn't for another 2 weeks) and then closed the chat session without warning.

My Chromebook and phone have no wireless problems here. My new Aero 15, still full of bloatware but with an Intel 8625 card, has no problems with speed. Every other wireless device on my entire network has no problems other than this 9560 with a cheap Killer card inside of it.

I have to deal with Dell at work too, and after having told my coworkers about this, they also told me that they get the 30-day-is up thing all the time for brand new equipment they order. This company is nuts.

No Events found!