Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 15th, 2012 00:00

L501X DC Power Jack

I am the owner of a Dell L501X laptop that's suffering an interesting problem.

It could be due to physical chassis damage, as the jack has somehow gotten pushed into the body of the unit, preventing the AC cable from making proper contact and charging the battery.  There is some slight physical damage to that area of the laptop body, and as I have recently had the motherboard replaced in it, I'm not entirely certain what the issue is.

Any insight y'all have would be valuable.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 15th, 2012 02:00

Hi

Welcome to the community

If the motherboard was replaced, possible its a charger/adapter issue? Can you try running the computer with ac adapter only (w/o battery) Lets see if it works. And what kind of physical damage does the computer have? You can take a picture and post it here.

Glad to help, regards.

3 Posts

April 15th, 2012 03:00

The adapter will no longer mate properly with the jack's internal components, leading me to believe it has somehow slipped its housing.  This happened between one moment and the next.

Additionally, when trying to tear down the laptop in accordance with the teardown guide, I discovered an irreparable stripped screw holding the palmrest assembly to the chassis.  Unfortunately I cannot proceed with any home repairs, and will likely need to send it in for service/replacement.

Please find attached photos of the external damage to the chassis.

http://clay.blorgblorgbl.org/images/l501x/IMG_0002.JPG

http://clay.blorgblorgbl.org/images/l501x/IMG_0003.JPG

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 15th, 2012 05:00

Contact Out of warranty repair

support.dell.com/.../expired_warranty

for an estimate.

from the looks of it, whoever did the board replacement did a hack job.

3 Posts

April 15th, 2012 07:00

Well, since the person who did the board replacement was a Dell-dispatched technician, that doesn't make me feel very much better.  But yeah, then I noticed that the damn screw that secured the palm-rest assembly was stripped; needless to say I was quite put out with the technician because now I can't tear it down and get at the issue myself.

I'm covered by warranty out through 2016, though.  So that's good, at least.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 15th, 2012 23:00

Sorry to hear the experience. If you need help setting up the service for this computer, let me know, I will be glad to help you. Feel free to add me as a friend by clicking my username above and send me the service tag of the computer.

Best Regards,

No Events found!