Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

August 5th, 2015 17:00

L702x (XPS-17) Webcam not functional after Windows 10 upgrade

The webcam worked fine in both Windows 7 and 8.1, but doesn't work at all in Windows 10.

With the standard Microsoft "WEBCAM" driver, the Camera app shows just a black screen, and Skype says "Can't start video. Try closing other programs that may be using your webcam".

When I installed the Windows 7 driver from the dell website in compatibility mode, it installed fine, but the driver didn't change in Device Manager, and the camera still didn't work.

When I updated the driver manually in Device Manager, pointing to the Dell Windows 7 driver directly ("Integrated Webcam"), Skype still complains, and now the Camera app says "Something happened".

Any ideas?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 5th, 2015 18:00

Hi wbradney,

Please follow the steps mentioned in the link below to refresh the Webcam drivers for issue resolution.

1. Press Windows key and start typing Device Manager.
  2. Open Device Manager by clicking on it.
  3. Click the arrow to the left of Imaging devices
  4. Right-click Integrated webcam or USB camera.
  5. Click Uninstall.
  6. Confirm the uninstall process by clicking OK.
  7. Once uninstalled, restart the computer. 

Also, I’d suggest that you update BIOS and chipset driver on your computer to check for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and chipset from chipset section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

24 Posts

August 14th, 2015 15:00

Updating the BIOS didn't seem to help. I'd already tried the uninstall & reboot (the device actually shows up as "WEBCAM" in my Device Manager), but I'll try it again.

25 Posts

October 4th, 2015 15:00

I have same issue since W10 install....

but no Camcorder is in the "Imaging Devices"  basically  the camcorder has gone.  I've reinstalled drivers etc.. but laptop doesnt see it let alone use it.

Any suggestions.

10 Posts

May 20th, 2016 16:00

Me too into trouble. I am also on Dell XPS 17 L702X.

Neither generic Microsoft nor Dell R277344.exe doesn't work for Quanta H.264 Integrate Webcam under Windows 10.

It works fine on Debian Linux, even in Firefox. Because Skype goes to Web I hope to make calls from Linux...

Only interesting quirk is that camera do not start working until I wave hand near the camera. Easy to test camera on Linux with mplayer tv:// command

1 Message

September 4th, 2016 14:00

Same camera problem here (l702x). I was unable at the time to test under linux.

1. Drivers in W10 device manager do not show any errors - the device IS there.

2. BIOS update did not help.

3. Secondary boot option W7 system also started fail same way (please check if camera is used by other program)

Seems like USB camera's firmware got tampered by the driver from W10 update. Unfortunately i tried so many drivers that i cannot pin-point the faulty one anymore.

10 Posts

September 6th, 2016 08:00

Surprisingly Webcap started to work in W10 after adjusting "Exposure" parameter in Linux (disable "auto", set level to "manual")

See details at https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-russian@lists.debian.org/msg132181.html

I tried to install several drivers and forgot which source used to download. It has signature:

Quanta Computer Inc.

2010-05-14

No Events found!