It is a dell studio 1458 with an almost dead battery. When the power button is pushed the led turns on, the computer makes a beep and turns off, repeating the process wihout stopping. To stop this I have to unplug the AC adapter and remove the battery.
Last night the electricity went off and used the laptop for 15 min until the battery was almost uncharged, so I put it at deep sleep. Apparently the electricity went back at some point during the night. Today in the morning I tried to turn on the laptop but instead encountered this problem.
Any orientation about the problem or how to solve it would be thankful.
Remove the battery and use the adapter alone always plugged in to an outlet. If that works, replace the battery or use it that way until you can replace the computer. It is not worth buying a $100 replacement battery for such an old computer. If using the adapter alone doesn't work, buy a new computer.
Unplug the system, remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec. Try powering up on AC only - if the system will power up, you likely have a bad battery.
If you still get a single beep/shutdown, the mainboard is faulty.
It didn't start with the AC adapter only neither with the battery only.
Before considering buying a new motherboard I'm trying other things.
I read in other forums posts about the same issue, and it seems that some people had solved it by replacing the CMOS battery or by removing one of the two memory modules. I tried the latter wih no success, the former is just to complicate for me. I couldn't reach further than removing the outermost lid, and the CMOS wasn't there.
I tested the AC adapter with a voltimeter and it is working fine, although I don't certainly know if the socket is working correclty. By moving it a little the laptop managed to stay long enough for the fan to start spinning and then making a continuous beep until it turned off again, repeating the proess of on/off.
Any other ideas? I gess I'll have to replace the motherboard after all.