Awhile back, the battery that originally came with my laptop reached the end of its lifespan and had to be replaced. The replacement battery I got was used but seemed to be in good condition...or so I thought.
When I have my laptop plugged in with the wall adapter, everything runs smoothely...no problems at all. However, when I run my laptop soley on battery power, my computer randomly shuts off. No shutdown screen, no warning, no nothing. Just...poof! When it does shut off randomly, I can usually wait a few minutes and then turn it back on or plug my computer back into A/C power and it turns right back on again. Also, it doesn't matter how long I've been running on battery power or how much charge my batter has either. I did not have this problem when I was using my original battery.
Because of this problem, I now always use my laptop when it's plugged into A/C power. However, I have noticed that touching various places on my laptop causes my laptop to shock me. I know that it is my laptop shocking me (as opposed to me shocking the laptop) because I can be seated in my chair (which isn't grounded) and my feet up off the ground and I don't feel the shock. I do feel the shock when my feet are on the floor. In other words, I get shocked when the electricity in my laptop has chance to pass through me to the ground. This shock doesn't seem to effect the performance of my laptop in any way though.
Why is my laptop randomly shutting off when it's on battery power? And does the fact that my laptop seems to have a grounding problem have anything to do with it? I hope I have explained my situation adequately, and any help on the subject will be greatly appreciated.
By the way, my laptop is an Inspiron E1705 running Windows Vista Home Premium.
Dell also has one of the industry's best warranties, paying return shipping on even its least-expensive products. However, the company's mediocre phone support leaves a lot of room for improvement.
Was it something you bought off the ebay? Was it even original?
You could have purchased a battery that was in the same if not worse condition than yours.
WIth the original battery known to be bad try to run a diagnostics on the compuiter
on complete shutoff press F12 and then go to diagnostics. It will tell you a battery health or life level.
Keep that number in mind.
Then repeat for the newer battery. what health does it reach?
If the numbers are low you may have just ended up with old batteries.
If you on a budget perhaps try opening one up and then replace the 18650 cells inside?
The shutting off randomly sounds like something Iv experienced with cheap chinese aftermarket batteries. Are you sure you have an original dell battery?