Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2017 04:00

Laptop & External Monitor

Hi, I am really need help. Trying many ways but nothing helps.

My laptop doesn't recognize my external monitor. 

I was trying to connect monitor to my friend's dell laptop (he have smaller laptop, but very similar with mine) and all works just instantly after connect.

At the same time, on my laptop external monitor was work after many actions with drivers, uefi, etc. And in the end I don't understand what factors can help me in past to connect with monitor. But I can say, that external monitor works at first time after install drivers and rebooting pc, I think.

Recently I reinstall my operating system and trying to connect external monitor again - as I expect - laptop doesn't recognize it again. To resolve it, I am install the drivers, trying actions, that helps me, how i think, in past. In the end - nothing works and laptop doesn't recognize the external monitor again, like in past.

All characteristics that can help are below.

Laptop - Dell Inspiron 17R 5721

Motherboard System - UEFI A14

Video Cards

Integrated - Intel HD Graphics 4000

Discrete - AMD Radeon HD 8500M/8700M Series (Mars)

External Monitor - IIyama Prolite XB2483HSU

Connection between laptop & monitor - HDMI-HDMI

My Thoughts

I really don't understand what happens. In past I have the experience to connect different laptops and external monitors and always it was very easy. Just put in hdmi cabel and all works! I can't understand what's wrong with my laptop. Even my friend's almost similar laptop works with my monitor easy just after put in hdmi cabel. I thinlk, may be problem created by new uefi system or something wrong with drivers and I need some unique drivers for my graphic cards (I am already trying different drivers and ways).

If someone know how to resolve this problem - please, help.

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2017 13:00

Ok, I found the solution! From random posts in internet I was create list of different actions to resolve my problem & one of them help me.

Solution.

1. Disconnect the external display

2. Restart Windows, and disable SecureBoot from BIOS (also must be uefi boot mode instead of legacy)

3. Once you are logged into Windows, re-install the display drivers.

I want to tell more about this paragraph.

How do I re-install display drivers?

- Open Device Manager

- Delete Intel Graphic device & his drivers

- Delete AMD Graphic device & his drivers

- When you delete graphic devices & drivers windows must start to search for drivers in internet and trying to install them (windows must have permission to install drivers automatically)

- When install starts - just waiting for the end - it can install about 5-10 minutes

4. After install connect the monitor - if monitor still doesn't work (like in my situation), reboot laptop again and leave the monitor on & connect to laptop.

Monitor must work after this at Welcome screen moment.

5. If it doesn't work yet

- try standard fn+F1 combination (it must work already after all that you've done before)

- wait about 5 minutes for windows (it can start to download some drivers for monitor - I think it's the most important moment - at my situation this drivers start to download before last laptop reboot) and than reboot laptop again with the monitor on & connect to laptop

- just reboot it again with the monitor on & connect to laptop

6. I want to say some about amd drivers.

Some people suggest to install amd drivers from official amd site.

This step can't help me at now & in past too. Monitor shut down again after install newest amd drivers.

I don't know exactly how it works, but better to let windows to install graphic drivers, no matter where it take them. Exactly with windows install drivers my monitor start to work.

Also the name of amd graphic card changed after windows install - AMD Radeon HD 8730M instead of name, when I install newest drivers from official AMD site - AMD Radeon HD 8500M/8700M.

P.S.

I wrote this to help someone with similar problem & if I can - I'll feel really happy)

Greetings from Russia)

9.4K Posts

April 4th, 2017 07:00

Hi mars281190,

Thanks for posting.

Glad you were able to figure this out and thanks for posting your solution so that others with a similar issue can resolve theirs.  If you need additional assistance, please post back. Thanks.

No Events found!