Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2015 11:00

Laptop Game lag

I have a Dell Inspiron 5547 model with 8 GB RAM,Windows 8.1,4th generation intel core i7,1TB hard disk,and 2 GB AMD RAEDON HD R7 M265 DDR3 With a full HD display. Almost all the games I play gets laged or hangs a lot. Give me a solution to this problem.

June 22nd, 2015 13:00

Hi Chinmaya1996, This reply will NOT be "the" answer, but it may get you started in a direction of troubleshooting.  I hope that is Okay?  In order for anyone to assist with determining the cause of "lag" in an online game, they are going to need to know much more about your system and how it is connected to the Internet.  You may end up needing to speak with both DELL and the Technical Support staff of your ISP, especially if you can take the laptop to a second location with another ISP and it gets better performance (less lag) at the second location.

I am only suggesting these approaches to the issue in case you have not already thought of them.

When is the "lag" the worst?  At any specific time of day (mornings, afternoon, evening, late-night, etc.)?

Is the laptop freshly loaded with its version of Windows (8.1) from DELL? (or was it used by another person, perhaps a family member, for 6 months before you obtained it?)

Have you reviewed the "Processes" running on the laptop (using Task Manager) in order to see the total number of Processes running at any given time?

Have you considered uninstalling any "extra" software on the laptop that is not needed at the present time?  (overall, this would lighten the load of the total tasks the computer is performing and things like background updates of software..)

If you take the laptop to a second location and find much less "lag" there, then the issue may be the Router or combination Internet Gateway at home (its firmware may need to be updated) or an issue on the Internet Service Provider's side of the connection (such as, perhaps the bandwidth is being shared locally with other subscribers and you are not getting the full performance paid for..)

SpeedGuide.net is one place online where the performance of an Internet connection may be tested.  http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/

To get valid observations on performance, be sure to select the same Test Server at home and at the second location.  Also, I recommend performing the tests as close together in time as possible, in order to allow for varying "load" conditions on the Internet.  Testing at home at 3:00 PM, and then testing at the second location at 6:00 PM are likely to give vastly different results!  Making speed tests on two different days but at the same approximate times will allow you to average the performance numbers at each location.  Averaging the numbers will give an idea of how Internet performance varies over time and this may also relieve some gaming frustration! - Nobody can guarantee the absolute performance of the Internet.

Plus, I have not even mentioned the possibility of "load" (demand) on the servers used by the game you are playing!  That is an entirely separate matter that warrants a separate investigation... (I understand some games have built-in "lag indicators" and wonder whether yours does?)

If you can share the numbers of in-game "lag" you see, maybe other players of the same game can share their experience with it as well.  Hopeful!

I am not trying to "stall" any efforts to resolve performance issues, I am just trying to help highlight some of the "angles of attack" available to resolve the issue.  You may find a simple fix to the issue BEFORE speaking with anyone at DELL and it could save time for you (overall).

(Over years of doing support and consulting, I have found many users that simply want their device to "work" and who usually are not very interested in how it works, but with online gaming the user almost *always* must become a technology Guru themselves in order to achieve satisfaction.)

Good luck!

June 22nd, 2015 23:00

Games like Assassians creed black flag, prototype gets lagged. I would like to know what background processes can lag the system. It gets lagged all the time.

June 23rd, 2015 13:00

That is a BIG question!  This online document from Microsoft may help:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2013/06/06/windows-8-task-manager-in-depth/

Users with Windows 8/8.1 are fortunate to have more "insight" into the Tasks and Processes running on the computer than ever before in the history of Microsoft.  Now with the introduction of Apps, the Windows operating system is doing more than ever to give a user-friendly (and stable) experience; but it is like a juggler that used to juggle 3 round rubber balls now juggling 12 balls!

What I call "background" processes may include:  Anti-virus definition update downloads, Java update downloads (jucheck.exe), Adobe update downloads, SearchIndexer.exe, RoxioBurnLauncher.exe and many other items on the "Processes" list within Task Manager.

Every computer is different, so begin the investigation with a clean boot of the system while it is disconnected from ANY network (unplug from the LAN/DSL/Cable) and manually turn off the wireless adapter if the laptop has a slide-switch or button for that.  This will give you a chance to peek at Processes before they get "loaded up" with the extra stuff.  AFTER you do that, then reconnect to the Internet and wait 15 minutes to take a peek at the Processes again.  How many more Processes appear now which did not appear before?  Which ones have "started", added themselves, turned-on or "woke-up"?  Many modern computers actually spend significant time waiting for the User to do something, do anything, (because we're so slow) and the "System Idle Process" may be observed on the Task Manager list showing 99% "CPU" or 97%, 95%, 93% for example - that is Windows waiting on us.

At this point the user will have a pretty good understanding of everything running on the computer and can think about how all of its resources are being used (or misused).

No Events found!