Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2010 16:00

Laptop Power Adapter no longer working and receiving error Message

Hello,

I have an Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop that I bought 6/9/2009. The warranty went out on 6/9/2010, and last week my AC power adapter stopped working correctly. When it is plugged in I get an error message saying:

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 65W AC adapter or higher for best system operation.

I have already updated the 'bios' that the help desk suggested...it did nothing.

I would welcome any help or ideas on what to do.

Thank you,

Lauren.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

November 12th, 2010 17:00

I am sorry to hear that you have the problem. I certainly understand that it can be frustrating.

If you have more than one notebook at your location, doublecheck to make sure that you have the right AC adapter for the notebook. 

Otherwise the adapter may be failing.  An adapter may fail in two ways, the adapter is no longer able to provide power for the PC or the data line of the adapter may have broken and the adapter may no longer be informing the notebook what type of adapter it is and how much power it can provide. When this happens the adapter will still power the notebook but the computer will give the error message and it is unlikely able to charge the batteries.

So if you have not already replaced the AC adapter that will be my first suggestion.  If you have replaced it or have access to other adapters of the same Model  and the problem continues then the power board or the system board of the notebook will need to be replaced.

TB

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 12th, 2010 17:00

Try a new Dell adapter first.  If that doesn't solve the problem, you need a mainboard repair (power jack) or replacement.

No Events found!