Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2009 04:00

Laptop Studio XPS Hotkeys Not working

I bought a Studio XPS 13 Laptop about 3 weeks ago which on the whole I have been really please with.  However the hotkeys seem to be temperamental. 

Sometimes I will switch it on and they will work fine (to turn wireless on/off, volume control and DVD disc eject), other times the keys work but dont display their function on the screen when you press them (which i can live with) and other times they dont work at all - i need to reboot.  Is this a known issue? Are there update drivers / a system setting i can change to reload the keyboard software?

Not having volume control or play buttons on hotkeys i can live with, but as the hotkey is the only way to turn the wireless card on and off, and also the easiest way to eject CDs and DVDs, i would like to sort this out.

March 20th, 2009 04:00

Actually i have the same problem (beside my problem with the display) and told the Service-Team by telephone.

So, as some more people might face this problem in the future, it might turn into a general issue. And maybe by luck it will turn into a known issue some day with full support and a fix.

Next week my Studio XPS 13 will be serviced by a technician and maybe he knows some fix for this issue by then.

Best regards, Mario Pietzsch

27 Posts

March 20th, 2009 18:00

Same problem here. So afr, DOA with first unit. Inoperable status lights on second. Now your problem

2 Posts

April 9th, 2009 17:00

It seems that there are MANY Studio XPS owners having this same issue but  so far Dell has not done anything about it, or at least I can't find any "fix".

But  this seems to get the buttons working again. Unplug power cord while laptop is running. Do not shut it down, but instead, hold power button until it shuts off (not go into sleep  mode). Wait 10 seconds, press power button and restart the laptop and the touch buttons should work. At least this is what I have done.

The touch button will just stop  working  for no apparant reason. I have not been able to figure out why they just  stop all of a sudden. But  when I did a search, Dell had  no  helpful info but  on another, reliable forum, somone posted the above  procedure and so far it's works everytime the buttons stop working.

Dell can't you guys seem to get this issue  resolved. I have read on your  site that your  support people don't know why this happens and they are telling people to  send the laptop back. I wish I  would have  bought  a different brand  of laptop. I'm VERY unhappy with my Studio XPS 13.

27 Posts

April 9th, 2009 17:00

I flashed my bios and I updated wireless driver from manufacturer (NOT dell) and my problem with touch buttons seems to have been cured. (Cross my fingers)

4 Posts

April 10th, 2009 12:00

It looks every owner of studio xps 13 has the same problem i have it.

Please GaryReger, could you tell us how did you do your fix and who is the manufacturer and the website.

10 Posts

May 13th, 2009 22:00

is there any solution for this yet. mine is almost two weeks old and it's got the same problem. please dell help the people who help you grow. who patronize you. this is my 4th dell computer and i also have your dell dj30. please resolve this issue please listen to our crys.

6 Posts

May 14th, 2009 07:00

I have had this issue on my Studio xps13 for over a month since I have had it.  Dell support tried to remotely to fix.  They did everything I did, uninstall, repair, install... nothing.  It did work one day by surprise.   The TSR is running but don't know the issue why it can't work.

Dell, are you reading these??

May 14th, 2009 07:00

My Studio XPS 13 is 2 Month old now.

I reinstalled Windows twice now and tried BIOS versions A04 to A06 - No difference.

Well, there IS a difference indeed: With BIOS A05 and A06 the fan is running ALL the time, which makes it rather anoying loud. I bought a SSD for a silent system and due to the termic issue they simply let the fan run at 30% all the time......:emotion-3:

The freezing is happening once and a while quite frequently.

Simple solution. Press the ON7OFF button and wait for 5 seconds. the turn it back on and hope. If it freezes again, restart again till it works......

Bought me a new Desktop Graphiks card today...will return to my desktop soon......

8 Posts

May 14th, 2009 10:00

I have found that the bios update has improved things, although not fully corrected the problem.  The other thing i have noticed is that the problem only seems to occur when the laptop isnt plugged in.  Come on dell, there are so many of us having this issue - sort it out.  If you havent yet resolved it please at least shed some light on what the issue is - is it hardware conflict? A driver conflict?

Even if you could release a temporary work-around - say a little program we can run to "reload" it until you have a patch to completely fix it.

Hey, maybe we should just hope someone will come on here and acknowledge you are aware of this problem let alone fix it.

10 Posts

May 27th, 2009 10:00

hey dell any update on this issue. are you even reading our posts? what is the use of this forum if you don't even care to acknowledge the issue let alone fix it. i think that is why people are making the switch. i still don't want to but if this is not resolved in the near future i might.

5 Posts

June 9th, 2009 15:00

I have just recently bought  a Studio XPS 13 (5 days ago actually). My media keys started goin "iffy" the day after i got it. I ran a bios flash (to A07) and that seemed to help make them go out less frequently. I called both Dell and Best Buy (the place of purchase) and found neither to be of any help. I have been reading up on this and it sounds like it is hardware related, not software (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=4794484). This guys sounds correct when he says its the capaciters gathering residual electric charge and stop the media keys from working, shutting it down clears out the capaciters. Note that none of this is Dell official though.

I have found what seems to a be a work around fix somewhat, but i can not guarantee that this will work for everyone...

NOTE: I have only tried this when the keys light up when pressed, but do not work. I have yet to try it when the keys go all out (no responce at all)

When they stop working, left click the volume in the bottom right corner to bring up the volume control bar, while thats up click one of the volume hotkeys/media keys. This should make them work and the volume box appear. However once the volume box goes away they stop working, so while the volume box is up click the eject CD hotkey. This makes them continue to work after the volume box goes away. This has worked for me so far, its a hassle and dont ask how i figured it out. Hope it works for you.

27 Posts

June 10th, 2009 09:00

BIOS = AO7 5/4/2009

Wireless Driver (for Dell 1515 Wireless-N)= Atheros Communications, Inc. 7.6.0.168, 8/7/2008

BTW Does not eliminate problem. Just reduces frequency

8 Posts

June 18th, 2009 07:00

Gotta say this didnt work at all for me - clicked on the volume control but the media buttons were still dead as.

I see dell have release yet another bios update - i havent had chance to install this yet but will be doing so tonight. Anyone know if this helps? 

Dell seem to be release these bios updates extremely frequently.  Anyone ever get the feeling that they rushed the release of the studio xps laptop without properly testing it?

Come on Dell support - get on here and give us SOMETHING? Just come on here and at least admit there is a problem...

1 Message

June 21st, 2009 14:00

Try This......

Turn Off Your Computer

Turn it back on but as soon as you see the blue dell logo screen press f8 Countinuisly

Click On Diagnostics

After That (it takes about 15 mins) Then a screen will come up saying do you want to countinue the test say no

Then click on the things that arent working and they will run seperate tests

5 Posts

June 21st, 2009 14:00

Hate to hear that, sorry man. As for the recent BIOS flash, no good. Actually made things worse. Now my keys dont work at all after boot up if im not on AC power :( . I am going to attempt to load a Windows 7 beta or Linux ubuntu on this baby to make sure that it is hardware only. If that fails, then i am sending it back to dell and hopefully they can fix via motherboard exchange or some other means. And they better fix it...

No Events found!