Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

March 31st, 2017 18:00

Inspiron 3520, not charging?

My Dell Inspiron laptop just will not charge. I have bought a new battery, a new charger and read these forums over and over. Naturally, since my laptop is out of warranty, Dell won't give me the time of day. Sometimes, very rarely, I can get it to charge by starting it without having it plugged in, then plugging it in after Windows starts, but lately even that doesn't work. I wouldn't mind it normally, I rarely use my laptop away from a power source, but for some reason, the computer is noticeably slower if it's not charging. I'm really to the point where I will never buy another Dell again, but for now this is what I have and what I have to work with. If anyone knows a fix, or even a work around to get this thing working for the next month or so, I would appreciate it. And yes, I updated the BIOS already, in fact I think that's the problem. But I'm ready to try anything at this point. 

6 Posts

April 2nd, 2017 09:00

My BIOS does not have the battery health line at the bottom. I double checked after my last post. It's not there. And the one I bought from Amazon didn't work, so as I posted previously, I did buy a Dell charger, just not from Dell. I found a used one on Ebay. But I did get it to work after a whole day of trying and failing. Here's what you have to do: 1-Unplug your computer from the charger. 2-Shutdown the computer (don't restart, shut down). 3-Restart the computer while on battery power. 4- Plug in the computer AFTER Windows has fully loaded. 5-Unplug the charger from the outlet WHILE LEAVING IT PLUGGED INTO THE COMPUTER. 6-Wait for the charger to completely drain of power and the little LED light goes completely out. 7-Plug the charger back in.

This works for me. I don't know if it will work for anyone else or not. I know it seems like a lot to do just to get your computer to act like a normal computer, but it will work until I get a new one. Live and learn...

If still inside the purchased warranty period and need more assistance, click the "Get Help Now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.

(edited)

1 Message

March 31st, 2017 18:00

Mine won't either!  I just purchased a new charger and it worked for 1 day and then quit.  I've tried jiggling it and it quit charging.  I keep mine plugged up but would like it to charge.  It's only a little over a year old....out of warranty.

6 Posts

March 31st, 2017 19:00

Inspiron 3520, Windows 10

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 31st, 2017 19:00

:emotion-2:

Please list your Dell model number and version of windows. Ex: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

In the meantime, I'd suggest you check status of the new battery and AC adapter in the BIOS. Please follow steps below.

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously.

In the BIOS, look for AC adapter type, if it says none or unknown then it's a problem with the adapter and most likely needs to replace with a Dell genuine adapter. Note: Please wiggle adapter while checking it in BIOS. The battery should say 'Battery Is Performing Normally or Excellent.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 31st, 2017 20:00

Please check status of new battery and adapter in BIOS by following the steps I've posted above. The adapter should be listed under the Main tab and the battery should be listed under the Advanced tab

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2017 08:00

However, .....

Please power off system and remove all peripherals. Remove AC adapter, battery and then press 'Power On' button for 15 seconds to release Static Flea Power. Replace battery, adapter, power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously to get into BIOS. Please Reset the BIOS to Default Values and see if the BIOS will then detect the new AC adapter.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2017 08:00

tbowling wrote: "To answer your question, it does say unknown, and I don't see anything in my BIOS telling me anything about the actual battery'

The BIOS doesn't recognized AC adapter therefore, adapter will continue to received power but won't charge battery. The battery health should be listed under the Advanced tab.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2017 09:00

Yes, I know all about how Dell forces you to pay $100 for a charger you can get on Amazon for $25.

:emotion-2:

If the BIOS still doesn't detect the new AC adapter, I suggest you contact seller (Amazon) and ask for a refund or another adapter that is more suitable for your system.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2017 10:00

Glad you resolved the adapter problem and sharing the solution for others to see. Thanks for the update.

No Events found!