Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2016 01:00

Laptop dead and not charging

My Dell HP laptop for the past few days whenever I turn it on and get to the homescren and plug the charger in it would say ac adapter not recognized, or battery not recognized, something like that. But it would still charge. Now today when I got home my laptop had been plugged in all day but Its dead and isn't charging. But the green light is on on the charger cord. So I'm not sure how to fix this problem

Please any help is appreciated, thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 7th, 2016 06:00

There's no such thing as a Dell HP notebook -- it's like saying you have a Toyota Accord or a Honda Camry.

Let's start with the exact system model - if it's a Dell, Inspiron N5110,5521, etc.  If it's an HP (Pavilion, Presario, etc.) you'll want to check HP's support website.

2K Posts

September 10th, 2016 17:00

Hi JULIAC123,

What is the exact system model? If it is a Dell machine, then reply to the following:

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Could you test with another power adapter if possible? Could you check this adapter on another system if possible?Does the adapter led stay on and stable or does it go off when connected to the system? Do you see leds come on when you press the power button?

Based on your response, we shall advise further course of action.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!