Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2012 02:00

Laptop dead, warranty expired, what support can I get?

My laptop suddenly stopped booting today. After some investigation I'm pretty sure that the motherboard is dead. I would obviously like to get it fixed/replaced, but my warranty just expired (March 9th). I've looked around the support website but it's not clear to me what options are available and what it will cost me, and apparently I can't even email customer support without a current warranty? Here I'm told that I can get it repaired for $159 + whatever extra a motherboard costs (no details are provided), but elsewhere it looks like I can still extend my warranty for $119? Is that correct? Would it still cover my current problems? Is there any way I can directly contact Dell support to answer my questions without paying a fee?

4.4K Posts

March 28th, 2012 03:00

Hi Kered13,

Welcome to the Community,

Since you're system is out of warranty  and if you just want to get the motherboard replaced you would need to contact our Out of Warranty Repairs Department.They can give you detailed information on the repair options,charges involved to get the motherboard replaced.It does not involve any fee just to talk to them.

You can call 1-800-288-4410 to contact Out of Warranty Repairs Department (For US customers).

Let me know if you have any further query.

Thank You

Roshan.

934 Posts

March 28th, 2012 12:00

"Kered13"

If you disconnected the keyboard,the touchpad,the hard drive,the memory,the cdrom drive,the screen and maybe the internal wlan/Blutooth adapter,tried a different power adapter(even a faulty power adapter could lead to a boot failure  - unstable voltage for instance) then I guess you are right that the mainboard needs to be replaced.

But it would be a shame to spend money on a mainboard only to find out that something else is the cause of the problem.....did you really try everything?

No Events found!