Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 22nd, 2017 07:00

Laptop does not start anymore; completely daed

My Inspiron 15R SE 7520 from August 2013 is completely dead. The AC adapter LED is green when I plug in the power cord while not connected to the laptop. If I connect the adapter to the laptop the LED turns immediately off. That happens even if the accu is removed from the laptop. From that I assume that it is not a problem of the accu, correct?. Measuring the AC adapter output shows 19.5 Volt as specified. Maybe a problem on the mainboard?

Does a fix still make sense given the 4 years age?

There is some interesting data on the hard disk that has not been backed up. Is there some service to get the files from the disk? The data is not super critical, so how much does such a service cost - rough estimate?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

There is a short circuit somewhere in the system - the first suspect is the DC jack:

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

If replacing that doesn't solve the issue, the mainboard needs to be replaced.  I'd agree on a 4+ year old system, that's not really worth doing.

You can recover your files even if you cannot boot the system - remove the drive, mount it in a 2.5" shell and attach to a working system by USB.  

The cases cost $10-15 or so.

Example:

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

14 Posts

Try disconnecting the power supply, removing the battery, and holding the power button down for 15 seconds. Reconnect the power and see if that helps.

If it doesn't and you still want to recover the data on the disk, uninstall the disk and put it into an external case (you can buy at most stores). You can then hook it up to another computer and get your data.

4 Posts

August 22nd, 2017 09:00

Thank you, will try to mount the drive in an external shell.

4 Posts

August 22nd, 2017 09:00

Thank you, will access the drive from an external case.

No Events found!