Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2015 02:00

Laptop doesn't start just beeps (6 beeps followed by 5 beeps)

Hi,

I have Dell Studio 1558 which was bought in 2010. All of sudden it doesn't start, just blank screen with initial 6 beeps and after a gap of couple of seconds 5 beeps when I start the laptop. I have checked the display test by pressing D and power button and it does show all the different colours. I am not sure if its the full mother board or the video card along with something else has got issue. Could you please advise ?

I have Display Adapters ATI Mobility Radeon HD 545v. Previously I use to have issue with this display adaptor where, it would just show the screen in weird colour line and to rectifly that I had to reinstall the software again once the laptop starts after few attemps.

Thanks

Kind regards,

November 10th, 2015 03:00

Hi, 

How about on an external screen?

Sound like a motherboard issue, as the LCD test is working fine with all colours

Regards

November 13th, 2015 03:00

hi
we are awaiting your response still

7 Posts

November 14th, 2015 04:00

Hi Hema,

Apologies for delay in my response. I have now tried using the HDMI but same situation 6beeps followed by 5beeps.

thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 14th, 2015 05:00

The video chip has failed -- on this system it's a permanent part of the system board.  Whether you want to spend several hundred dollars on a system this age is up to you, but the mainboard needs to be replaced.

7 Posts

November 15th, 2015 03:00

Thank you do you know what's the motherboard number i need to look for if i want to replace it and also video chip number if i could find someone could help me replace it my soldering it.

7 Posts

November 15th, 2015 03:00

Hema,

I have sent you private message with my laptop service tag. Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 15th, 2015 04:00

Look for boards numbered CGY2Y or 4DKNR.

7 Posts

December 5th, 2015 12:00

I have replaced motherboard and it was working fine few days. But now laptop doesn't start just blank screen and fan keeps running. When i press FN + D + power then red, white and green screen does come up. When i try FN + Power its still blank screen but after 30-40 seconds there is some music and then 3 beeps, then after 2 beeps and then 1 beep. This sequence keeps continuing until i power down the laptop.

No Events found!