Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2013 00:00

Laptop makes buzzing noise and freezes up

Hi all, I'm having a problem with my laptop.. It's recently been making noises, it happened before and I thought it was not a big deal. Until now, it keeps making noises and then freezes the whole laptop. I had to press power button and waited like 2 or 3 minutes for it to restart. It always happened while i'm playing online games then it freezes... i don't know how to check the fan or temperature of my lap top all i know is when i touch it sometimes its hot...my laptop is dell xps 15 (L502X). please help me. thank you.

1.3K Posts

March 15th, 2013 00:00

Hi iamPie,

In case the buzzing noise is from the fan area, you could clean the air vents of the laptop with a can of compressed air. Also run a built in diagnostics to check for hardware issues.

Kindly find the steps below to perform the H/W diagnostics.

Turn the computer off >restart the computer

At the Dell logo screen, start tapping the F12 key a few times until you see the ‘One Time Boot Menu’ appear.

At the one time boot menu, press the down arrow key to highlight ‘Diagnostic’, and then press Enter to begin the PSA diagnostics. If the test fails, please make a note of any error codes listed. You can also refer to the link below.

http://dell.to/i5zbDR

4 Posts

March 15th, 2013 02:00

ok i did what you said, although i dont know if im doin it right,

but i got 2 errors:

1. Error Code 0146.

Msg: Error Code 2000-0146

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - self test log contains previous error (s)

The given error code and message can be used by technical support to help diagnose the problem.

2. Error Code 0147

Msg. Error Code 2000-0147

Msg: Optical Device 0- self test

OPU Test failed.

what does it mean?

4 Posts

March 15th, 2013 03:00

its not the fan area, im only stating the fan as maybe additional info cause sometimes my laptop tends to be very hot...

although as i check the fan it seems that its working just fine..

This noise buzzing sound happens with music, streaming videos, games, pretty much everything.  If I'm watching a video or playing a game, the screen will freeze for a second, then resume or i have to press power button to off my laptop.

1.3K Posts

March 15th, 2013 09:00

Hi iamPie,

Error Code 0146 is a hard drive failure and Error Code 0147 indicates a DVD drive failure. Please check the system warranty details from the below link and private message the service tag if the unit is under warranty.

http://dell.to/Mbe3zg

To send me a private message, click on my Forum username and then click Start conversation.

4 Posts

March 17th, 2013 11:00

hi Dell- Harish M

1 more thing i noticed,

this freezing and buzzing only happens if i'm using 32 color depth while playing games.

it doesn't happen while i'm watching video or just browsing around,

so what i did was i used 16 depth color,

but i wanted to use 32 depth so what can i do with this so that it wont freeze and buzz while on 32 depth color?

1.3K Posts

March 18th, 2013 03:00

Hi iamPie,

Thank you for providing this information. I would request you to perform a PC restore, If the issue persists after a PC restore you might consider replacing the hard drive.

No Events found!